Simple recipes?

Options
This has undoubtedly been asked before, but through searching I didn't find much that was quite what I was looking for. So if there is something there and I missed it, please forgive me.

I'm wanting to not only lose weight, but start eating healthier. Meaning fewer t.v. dinners, mac and cheese, etc. The problem isn't so much that I don't have time to make meals (I'm currently a homemaker who loves to cook), it's more the cost. Our budget for food every two weeks is somewhere between $100 and $200. Not much.
I want to start cooking better food, not just to lose weight, but also for our health (I have high cholesterol, not because of my weigh but being overweight probably doesn't help, and my husband has high blood pressure and polycystic kidneys.)

So, I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has some fairly simple (meaning doesn't require a lot of hard to find or expensive ingredients) recipes that we can use and still stay under our budget? Dinners are mostly what I'm looking for, but anything would be a great help. Thank you so much!

Replies

• bloomingolive
    Options
    Soups will cost significantly less if you buy your legumes dry, and in bulk.
    It will require a bit more time and not much room for improvisation, but it'll be worth it :)

My basic soup method is sautèè onion or garlic in olive oil, add the soaked legumes, stir a bit and then add water or broth.
    Cover and cook for up to 20 minutes, or more if you prefer your legumes more "mushy". I sometimes add a tbsp. or two of tomato sauce for a flavour kick.
    That's it! It works with lentils, chickpeas, borlotti beans, black beans and white beans.
    You can add spices, or veggies, or even meat and make endless combinations :)

Spices are a relatively cheap way to change up the same kind of meat.
    I eat chicken with lemon juice, cracked green pepper, curry, rosemary, parlsey, wine or even beer!
    This way you can buy one type of meat on sale or in bulk and have different ways to eat it :)
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com....it's a great site with lots of recipes that meet your guidelines. :)
  • 24kmparks
    24kmparks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Check out the Recipe forum on this site. TONS of recipes there.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This website breaks down the estimated cost of each recipe per serving. I've used several of her recipes.
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/