Who has a Garmin running watch

Options
Hey all...I was looking for a garmin running watch and wodered who had one, what kind and do you like it:)

Replies

• Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm thinking of getting one as well.
  • iluvtrees123
    Options
    I have a Forerunner 305, I got a couple years ago. I wear it every time I run, I also have an app on my phone but it is a lot easier to wear something on my wrist. It also came with a heart rate monitor and training software. Keeping track of my progress over time is very motivational.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Forerunner 610 (the touchscreen one), and I love it. The HRM strap rubs a bit on longer runs, but you can fix that with a well-placed band aid. Satellite acquisition is pretty quick, its easy to use, and the GPS is accurate. I just ran a distance relay, and all 3 of my legs matched the listed mileage exactly, even though it was across the country from where I normally run. Its pricey at 400$ for the watch and HRM, but I found it on sale at REI. It can be adapted for cycling, but isn't waterproof (its water resistant, so you can run in the rain with no problems, you just can't swim in it). The touchscreen is sensitive enough, without being so sensitive that I end up screwing up my settings mid-run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started with a Forerunner 305, it died on me and I replaced it with a 610.

The 305 is a great product (especially the multi-sport settings & nice big display & long battery life) . The 610 has a touch screen, smaller form factor and can be worn as a sports watch.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 305 as well. I only use it to give me time and distance when I run/walk. I have used the heart strap and had no problems with it. I know you can set it to do a lot of other things, but I just haven't needed it for that. I download all my data to my computer and then go through all past runs and see how much faster I have gotten. I love it!
  • iluvtrees123
    Options
    I got mine from Amazon for $150 with the HRM. Very few are water proof (but water resistant enough for rain, or a someone who sweats a lot), battery is built in and mine is good for around 10 hours per charge.
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do triathlons, so I got the 910xt because it's one of only two you can swim with it. Sometimes it's information overload though.

If I were you, I'd visit the Garmin website (http://www.garmin.com/us/products/intosports) and compare devices. See what does what you want (are you just looking to track mileage, or are you also looking for Heart Rate, pace, bike/swim information, etc.). Then find what's in your budget based on that.

Any group ride or run I go on, any one of these watches will be on a wrist. You can't go wrong with any of them. You just want to make sure it gives you the metrics you're looking for.

I do think the new Forerunner 10s are cute, and they look like they can be used as a watch too. Not many of the others can.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 205. Love it. I'm not sure I could run without it.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 305, recently upgraded to the 310XT. I have the 305 for sale if you're interested. :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have a ForeRunner 205 (it's OLD as all getup now, because I got it years ago as a gift), but it's a beast, and just keeps on going. I never run without it, especially with trails I do. I would love it if it had the heart rate monitor integrated into it (the 305 does), but I can wear a separate monitor for that without any difficultly.

Also, the charging cradle is kinda lame. You can't just plug in the USB cable to the unit directly (which would be nice). So don't lose that, because without it, you can't sync to your computer or charge it, and it becomes a very expensive paperweight, haha.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Another 305 wearer. Had it for years also. Most valuable running tool I have. Between having accurate data, the ability to program workouts into the device before running, it's great. I use sportstracks for downloading data, which then keeps a running log, shoe milage log and more info than i really need on the computer.

I think the 205/305 are now discontinued. I haven't investigated the new ones enough to know what I'd get next.
  • RHHMom
    RHHMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Forerunner 405 CX, hubby bought for me from Costco a couple years ago. Its been great. No complaints.
  • VChristy07
    VChristy07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just got the 205 after I ran my first marathon relay and was the only member of the team without one! It's a big hunk of plastic on your wrist, but I love it! It finds the satellite quickly, seems accurate, and gives me what I need to just hit the road and run.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a Forerunner 305 and I love it. It's waterproof - had to do a six mile run in the rain a few weeks ago. I got mine off amazon, they seem to have the best deals. Battery life is long for long runs. It has a lap button that I can hit every mile so I can always see how long each mile takes - that's important to me for race training cause I want to make sure I finish my last few miles with a good time.
  • karenfaber
    karenfaber Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a 305 I don't use anymore, a 110 I use for a lot of my regular runs, and just got a 310XT that I use for ultras and on my bike as well as for running.

The 305 is bulky, but works on the bike as well. Water resistant, but not waterproof. Don't really use it much anymore, plus it gets kinda wonky sometimes when uploading to the computer. Probably 4 years old.
    The 110 is not much bigger than a watch, so great for just running. Battery life is only about 6-7 hours though, and again, water resistant but not waterproof.
    The 310XT is waterproof, works on the bike, and has a 20 hour battery life, which is great for ultras and relays. Does everything I need it to and much more and was only $206 (included shipping). It's kind of big on my wrist, but other than that it's perfect.

The 310XT also finds satellites much faster and seems more accurate on trails. That is probably just a function of newer technology though.
  • legalporter
    legalporter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a 101, which is no longer made, but I've had it for about 4 years and love it. It's basic, but I just want to know my pace and distance.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a Forerunner 405 and I use it for running, walking and cycling.
    It was a surprise Christmas present from my husband last year and I'm very happy with it.
    Do your homework on the different models - the one I have doesn't use heart rate to estimate calorie burn so if this is an important feature for you, you'll need to choose the right model.
    I do find that sometimes the touch sensitive bezel isn't very responsive, apart from that I love it.