Can you get too much protien?

AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
simple question I guess... I used to have way too low and i have really changed my diet and now i am getting ALOT of protien. Is it bad to go over your protien goal?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    simple question I guess... I used to have way too low and i have really changed my diet and now i am getting ALOT of protien. Is it bad to go over your protien goal?

MFP tends to estimate alittle TOO low with their protein allowance, so going over by some isn't bad. I usually tend to be anywhere from 10 to 25 over, and still managed to lose weight! :smile:
    I've heard that if you're really into muscle building, or very strenuous workouts, then you SHOULD have lots of protein.
    Hope that helps. :smile:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    I've asked the same question and the general response is that the website sets the protein allowance a little low and if you are working out and trying to gain muscle, then its no problem to go over on protein. I go over on protein daily but it keeps me full and I'd have to say that i'm getting pretty strong. :tongue: Carbs and added sugar are the important things to monitor.
  • nehptune
    nehptune Posts: 138
    yes you can.

if your body doesn't use it, and you really have too much, you can have a build up of uric acid in your bloodstream which can lead to gout... it probably isn't likely, but worth bearing in mind. not sure how much of an excess causes this, but one of my best friends used to use protein shakes to improve his performance at the gym, overdid it and got very ill with gout, he needed to walk with a cane for at least a week until it cleared up.

besides, remember that your body needs to work to get rid of anything it doesn't use, including protein, so if you are loading up on protein, but your body doesn't need it, you are putting yourself under extra metabolic stress.

excess protein does not build muscle bulk and strength - exercise does.

hope this is helpful.
  • AnneElise
    Thanks, this is very helpful.

The last couple days I have been going between 10 to 25 over so I think that should be okay.
  • AnneElise
    whoops just noticed i spelled protein wrong in the title, correction!
This discussion has been closed.