The dreaded plateau....need some suggestions....

Options
After 42 pounds lost I can't seem to lose any more. I am NOT cheating....I am being 100% honest with my calorie tracking. In fact I've even reduced the number of calories that MFP says I should eat. I've been doing research on the internet about this and I've read that one thing to do is eat a little over your calories one day, the next eat under, the next eat right on the mark, etc......to vary the daily calories from day to day. Theory says that your body gets used to living with the lower weight and doesn't use up calories the way it used to so you have to jumpstart it a bit. Also changing exercise time and intensity, etc. Does anyone have any successful experience ending their plateau?

I know my ticker says less than 42 but I had begun losing weight before finding MFP so my total lost is actually 42...in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    We need a lot more info. Please open your Food Diary for us to look at, and what is your age, height, what do you do for exercise, what are your current Goals (lose 2 pound a week? 1 pound a week?) How much do you want to lose?

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    A general suggestion is that if you are doing the same thing, change it up.

I've heard of that calorie variation thing, too, and it works for some people. You could always try it.

I broke through my plateau my radically changing up my work outs.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and TDEE and subtract 20% from that and follow that number, it has probably gone down a bit since you first did it.

If you are hitting that number, then try changing up your macros a bit, go from low protein to high protein, or low fat to higher fat.

If you are far below your TDEE, you could have done some damage to the metabolism. Just up your intake a bit one week at a time to get your body used to higher calories until you are back at the right number, you may gain a bit before you start droping again.