Help me figure this out

Options
Okay, so I'm kinda new to this whole thing and I need some advice on how many calories to eat and such. I checked out the road map and some calorie calculators, but I just feel pretty hungry and I'm not seeing a lot of results since my first loss.... I hope I haven't plateaued. Info:

24 years old
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 114
I work a desk job, but I work on the second floor, and the kitchen and bathrooms are on the first floor, so I walk up and down the stairs I would safely say at least 10 times a day. I have also been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and afterwards I'll go for a 20-30 min run. On non-30DS days, I'll run for 45ish minutes, or ride my bike.
I have MFP set to sedentary, with a calorie goal of 1300 calories, and I eat back my exercise calories or else I think I would die of hunger. (maybe I'm just not eating the right kid of food?)
I don't have a lot to lose, I just want to lose a bit of flab so that my muscles show. I'm at 20%bf, and I was hoping to just look a little leaner...

My diary is open, any suggestions would help!

Replies

• CyclngChick
    CyclngChick Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Let's just get this straight: you're 5 foot 7, you're 114lbs....and you want to lose weight?

For a female, 20% body fat is pretty darn good!

Can I ask what your goals are and why you have set them there?
  • allgoodthings
    allgoodthings Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie plan. I usually eat back my calories because I jog and do 30DS. I too would fall over if I didn't eat my net 1200. You'll read a bunch of opinions about eating back calories. It works for me. I've lost 15 pounds in 9 weeks. I feel good and I'm getting leaner and stronger.

Listen to your body and keep it up!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You're 5'7" and 114? 20% body fat?

You are under weight by most accounts. You don't need to loose anything. And maybe should gain a few pounds.

If you think you look flabby, work on toning and strengthening, bu there is no reason you should be thinking you need to loose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Around 1800. The issue you have, is you really don't have weight to lose besides muscle. At 114 lbs, you are under weight according to standards. There are two area's where you would benefit the most. First, drop a lot of this cardio stuff and start doing resistance training/ heavy weight training and two going through a bulk phase and gain 10 lbs of muscle in order to fill out your body. Weighing less doesn't always mean better looks (see two links below). But I will say, I feel it's going to be hard losing more weight without losing more muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • CyclngChick
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified that I don't need to lose weight, just fat, so that I look more toned. I carry all my extra fat on my stomach and it looks funny...
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You don't need to loose fat, just tone your stomach muscles and do core strengthening exercises. I mean come on at 114lbs how much fat is there really there to loose??
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Lets start with your calorie intake...you list yourself as " sedentary " which your job may very well be, however you workout quite a bit, so at the very least, list yourself as " lightly active ", that will allow your calorie intake to be a lil higher which might help with your hunger issues. It definitely sounds like you have more toning to do than actually weight/bodyfat loss. The other posts are right on the spot with suggesting toning/resistance training as the way to go. It sounds a little like you have hit a plateau which can be a bit frustrating. Try cycling your calories and where those calories come from throughout the week. For instance, the first two days of the week, eat low calories with balanced macro-nutrients ( proteins, carbs, fats), then the next two days raise the calories a little bit by eating more carbs, and then the next two days eat lower calories by lowering the carbs...and the 7th day, and this is the fun day....EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT for one or two meals that day-pizza, a cheesburger..whatever-that will help keep you sane while eating properly the rest of the week. It will also keep your body confused therefore helping to break through plateau's and keep your metabolism high:) I hope any of that made since and its just my two cents. Hope it helps.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    change up your exercise to strength training. It will help you with the muscle definition you are seeking and reducing your body fat percentage.
  • psuLemon
    Options

If that is what you want, then you will need to go through a bulk phase where you aim to gain 10 lb+ of muscle. Now in order to do this, you will need to create an anabolic state in order for your body to develop new lean body mass. In order to do this you will need to eat more calories than you burn. Ideally, you will need to strength train about 4 days a week and eliminate cardio. Cardio makes it difficult to gain muscle as you burn a ton of calories doing it. You will probably need to eat around 2500 calories.

Now, this will make you gain weight and you will gain some fat along with the muscle. This is why after you do a bulk phase, you will need to do a cut phase where you eat 20% below your TDEE.

You will need a good beginners weight training program. You can look into strong lift 5x5, it's a free WT program designed to get people into weight lifting. A lot of people like the leangains.com program where you can slowly increase lean body mass and minimize fat increases.

Ideally, if you can gain 20 lbs of muscle, you should be able to fill out your skin to have good definition.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You don't need to loose fat, just tone your stomach muscles and do core strengthening exercises. I mean come on at 114lbs how much fat is there really there to loose??

Toning is just a fancy word for cutting fat. And when you cut fat, you lose weight.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Up your calories and eat back your exercise cals. I'm 5'6", 113 lbs, and I eat 1525/day plus my exercise cals. You will feel less deprived. Also, I'm not sure what your ratio is set to, but I usually do a 40/30/30 c/f/p. Higher (healthy) fat and protein keeps your body more satisfied :-)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Around 1800. The issue you have, is you really don't have weight to lose besides muscle. At 114 lbs, you are under weight according to standards. There are two area's where you would benefit the most. First, drop a lot of this cardio stuff and start doing resistance training/ heavy weight training and two going through a bulk phase and gain 10 lbs of muscle in order to fill out your body. Weighing less doesn't always mean better looks (see two links below). But I will say, I feel it's going to be hard losing more weight without losing more muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I pretty much agree with this.

To get the kind of physique you want you'll need to add some muscle to your frame before cutting back down. 114 lbs doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room to go for a straight cut.

1,800 - 2000 is a good place to start (which factors in exercise calories so don't worry about eating them back) along with 3 heavy full body weights sessions per week centering on compound movements as well as limited amounts of cardio.

It might be scary but putting on weight (inevitably both fat and muscle unfortunately) is sometimes the best thing you can do for long term success.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone who said to up your calories, add weight training and cut down on cardio.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First, I would suggest you use a HRM to calculate your calories from cardio so that you aren't using MFP's overestimated calorie burns. I think if you do want to lose you should first calculate your body fat % accurately and then go from there. If you want to get really ripped like some of the body nazis on here you should follow the lifting advice and to cut I would shoot to lose 1-2 lbs per month no more but would probably advise against it depending your your body fat %. You must be VERY careful if you cut.

www.scoobysworkshop.com for workouts and nutrition advice.
  • CyclngChick
    Options
    This is awesome guys! I really want to get some muscle definition like some of the awesome ladies I've seen on here. I guess my (wrong) assumption was that if I just burnt all my fat off, I'd have ripped muscles! I obviously need to start lifting and cut down a bit on the cardio! Thanks for all the advice!