Food scales!

I recently bought a food scale for baking and only as an afterthought did I realize it will also be great for calorie counting.

With dinner tonight, for instance, I am planning on having an avacado and instead of guessing how many calories are in it, I can just weight it! Absolute genius.

For those of you that bought food scales, how do you like it? Do you actually use it or does it just take up counter space?

Replies

• krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    I use mine every single day. Now I can tell in any restaurant just how much food is on my plate by sight. I can carve off exactly one oz of cheese from a brick. I can pour 4 or 6 oz of juice. (I test all of these) It is the best investment you can make it you are trying to lose weight, plus,as you state, it is very helpful in baking.
  • iancranerocks
    iancranerocks Posts: 22 Member
    I use mine religiously. I have an Excel spreadsheet that helps the most engineering-minded out there with the tough task of figuring out how much is in a serving of a home-made dish. For example, you know all of the ingredients that went in to a lasagna, but what exactly is in the 300g portion you just ate? if you're a computer-head, ask me for it.
  • Funny I came across this topic, I just ordered a food scale from Amazon a few days ago. I've never used one before, but I'm looking forward to measuring and weighing my food because then my calorie count will be much more accurate, and I won't rely so much on Healthy Choice frozen dinners and stuff for accurate documentation of the day's calories. :)
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 308 Member
    I use mine for almost every meal. Much more accurate than the eye-ball method!
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    I use it for almost everything , and then you really can eye the calories or the portion you need. Its amazing how wrong you are sometimes for the amount your eating and actually how many calories it is. I was anal at first now not so much. worth every penny
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    I use mine for almost everything I eat. Worth every penny
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Every meal, every item. If I can't weigh it. I measure it. If you don't do that your calorie count can not be accurate.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    I bought a digital scale while in WW, and used it every day. Then I stopped, it sat and got dusty. I pulled it out a few days ago, and found out - it's DEAD. :sad:

I need a new scale. I hope I can find a cheap one.
  • What are the best kinds of food scales and where can you get them locally without ordering online?
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    I got a little digital one from Clas Ohlson last week and I love it! It has solids, water and milk modes, so I measure out my drinks with it too (I used to use a 100ml measuring scoop for drinks, but this way I can just pour straight into the glass). I'm not really religious about using it - I'm raw and I've found that the staff database entries for produce are really good, but I like it for things I haven't eaten before and therefore can't just eyeball. Dried fruit and nut butters, too.