Toddler Nutrition in A Low Carb Home

Options
Hey guys! So reading SHBoss's post on the lady at the supermarket feeding her kid crap got me thinking. I try to monitor my toddler's food choices pretty closely, and I look up the toddler food-pyramid regularly to make sure he's getting everything he needs but it is very very hard to cook meals for both of us.

I'm insulin resistant, so I eat mainly proteins, veggies and nuts with a small amount of low carb grains. That is not a proper food pyramid for a little boy who (thankfully) got daddy's metabolism. If you guys don't mind, I'd like to throw up what he would eat on an average day and get your thoughts.

Breakfast
1/4 cup Cheerios
1/4 cup green goodness (kind of a veggie-drink smoothie - VERY tasty)
1 ounce ground sausage or ham

Lunch
1/2 cup veggie soup (or chicken noodle, clam chowder, chunky tomato etc)
1/2 cup milk

Dinner
1 - 2 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast
1/4 cup green beans
1/2 cup milk

Snacks
Watered down apple juice (3:1 ratio of water to juice)
Nuts (all sorts)
4 - 5 cheese cubes
PB&J on 1 slice of bread

Here is my question - is that enough complex carbs for a growing boy? If not, what should I add? I make plain oatmeal with a dab of honey for him occasionally. Is there anything I can add to lunch or dinner meals to beef up his carb intake more without having to alter the meal too much?

I've tried keeping high carb snacks in the house but I tend to eat them. That sounds selfish, but its just what happens! :ohwell:

Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• jacquelinekrigby
    Options
    It seems like you are providing him a very well rounded diet. Just keep the fruits and vegis coming!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Looks good except I think you might want to add in some more fruits, didn't really see any aside from the juice? And fresh fruit is always better than juice. My kids are a bit older (5 and 6 now) but I've pretty much been feeding them the same way since they could eat solid foods..

They drink milk with their meals, occasionally a glass of OJ with breakfast, but usually milk. I also keep a child size sports bottle of water in the refrigerator for them to drink throughout the day. They love yogurt, usually eat 1-2 servings of it a day..

Breakfast

Cold cereal or oatmeal/cocoa wheats with milk
    A serving of fresh fruit..apple, orange, pineapple, berries, etc

or

Toast with a scrambled egg, slice of ham/turkey sausage
    A serving of fresh fruit
    Milk

Snack

Yogurt or fresh fruit

Lunch

PB&J Sandwich/Grilled Cheese Sandwich/Lean meat sandwich
    cucumber sticks/tomato slices/carrot sticks
    fresh fruit/applesauce
    sugar free pudding or jell-o /popsicle or a yogurt
    Milk

or
    Garden salad
    Soup (tomato, chicken noodle, vegetable)
    fruit
    sugar free pudding/jell-o, popsicle or yogurt

or

Salad with grilled chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, low cal/fat dressing
    fruit
    sugar free pudding or jell-o/popsicle or a yogurt
    Milk

Snack

Yogurt or fresh fruit//veggies or cheese and crackers

Dinner
    lean meat
    fresh or steamed veggies
    rice/pasta/potato/whole grain dinner roll
    Milk

Snack

Yogurt/fruit/veggies cheese and crackers/popsicle/frozen yogurt/popcorn
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Lookes good to me you could get some ganola bars, cheese and cracks with meat ham, turkey, pepperoni or even the turkey kind but I think it is spicier. whole grain pasta with sauce. popcorn too.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    apple sauce, or cup of fruit.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Fruit! Yes, I often forget about that food group because I can only have it as a treat because of the sugar/carb content. Fruit cups are a great idea! We don't get a lot of fresh fruit because I can only go to the grocery store every 2 weeks or so and we don't eat it fast enough for it not to spoil.

Yogurt also sounds like a great option. He used to love yogurt and I can't remember why I stopped buying it. :huh:

We are very clean eaters, so often times I skip the middle isles of the grocery stores and I never see the popcorn, granola bars etc. Having those kinds of snacks around to supplement meals or have as an additional snack during the day I think will really help.

Thanks guys! Any more ideas are totally welcome - can't have too many options! :bigsmile: