NSV - No Elevator for 2 Years!!!

Options
In September of 2010, weighing approx 270, I decided I wasn't going to use the elevator at work anymore. That means climbing 4 flights of stairs to get up to my desk - 3 times per day. I am proud to report that I stuck to my goal and haven't seen the inside of the elevator since. It has been 2 years.

It was quite a struggle for a long time, especially since I had to take a break 1/2 way up most days in the first 6 months. But I kept at it, and now I can keep up with my fit coworkers that also take the stairs - AND I can continue our conversation while we're climbing because I'm not terribly out of breath.

The stairs have made my calves, hamstrings & glutes so strong! At my heaviest, I used to have huge, and I mean HUGE, calves. And it was so sad when I could no longer wear fashion boots because even the wide calf ones were too small. But NOW, I can wear all the fashion boots I want! Also, I've even received compliments on what nice calves I have :-)

I hope I can inspire you to also start taking the stairs. I used to hate stairs. I dreaded walking up more than one flight at a time. It was embarrassing too. No more! Some days I'm running up those stairs so I can punch in to work on time!

Replies

• Sheri3182
    Sheri3182 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Simply Amazing and Inspiring!!!!! I too have stairs at my job and I quickly jump on the elevator. I said last week I want to start walking up. I have 7 flights at my job and about 10 steps per flight. You have definitely inspired me to start. Plus it's a great workout when I am unable to hit the gym :-)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome NSV!!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yay! That is a big accomplishment!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Wow!! That is AWESOME!! Congrats and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It really is all about sticking with it. I hate that sometimes, but it's true.

Great story.
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    WTG !!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    HOLY SMOKES, Diane!!!! TOTALLY in Awe!!! YOU ROCK!!! What a healthy thing for you to stick too!!

BIG HUGS!!
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It really is all about sticking with it. I hate that sometimes, but it's true.

Great story.

I was going to say the same thing about sticking to it. :)

I'm learning how to do this more and more since joining MFP. And Diane, your experience is really encouraging.

GREAT work! I :heart: your persistence. :flowerforyou:
  • TheNewBlair
    Options
    Diane, this is such a great NSV. wow, to have stuck with it for this long already...you are so strong, and I am so proud of you!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    So proud of all your progress and persistence Diane!:smooched:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i ran up the 4 flights of stairs in my apartment building with my dog and a date the other night and I was so pleased when I reached the top and wasn't breathless...

i need to make this the norm and not the happenstance...

it's healthier anyways...

thank you for reminding me that we should be doing this...not the elevator....

congratulations!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :flowerforyou: