Net Carbs

Options
Does anyone track net carbs? I read that you don't count them (atkins) because they don't effect the blood glucose or something. But, this tracker doesn't have an option for counting net carbs. I noticed I can add them on Spark People, though. Any opinions about using net carbs?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Just count total carbs
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you want to know what your net carbs are, add the "fiber" category to your diary, then all you have to do is subtract your total fiber intake from your total carb intake to get your net carbs. I dont limit my carbs, but I do stay within my macros budget, I have mine set at 40/30/30.

Edited to say, I dont count net carbs, just regular ole carbs.
  • SweetFeather
    SweetFeather Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd like the option to track "net carbs."
  • shagybear33
    Options
    Like the above poster mentioned, add the "Fibre" category to your diary and then you just have to subtract the fibre from your carbs :D
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You only subtract fiber from the carb content if that piece of food contains the fiber itself.. for instance, you couldnt take a 20 grams of carbs from white bread and subtract 5 grams of fiber off of that from chia seeds. It doesn't work that way.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid problem and my doctor has me stay under 50 net carbs a day. That fiber becomes really important at that point. I subtract my total fiber intake from my total carb intake and the total is my net carbs for the day.
  • jkstrong1
    Options
    I agree, if you are diabetic or have thyroid issues just tracking "plain ole carbs" doesnt cut it. Net carbs (Carbs -fiber + sugar alcohols) needs to be calculated and monitored closely. Love this app, but if you need to track net carbs for your goals, it falls short.:indifferent: