Please diagnose me!

Options
2»

Replies

• med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    don't stretch before running, stretch after.

no. this is a bad choice you can pull a muscle or have serious complications. worst thing you can do is not stretch before. you have to be loose before and a nice stretch after. if you run without doing it your gonna end up hurting yourself.. and your calfs are going to be hurting a lot more then they are now.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would increase your calories, pay attention to your energy levels and any other symptoms during the day when you are not exercising. Are you tired, cold, grumpy, or headachy? Do you have a scratchy throat, congestion in your chest, heartburn, slight nausea, or just feel like you might be coming down with a virus? Sometimes we doing pay close enough attention and realize that our body is trying to deal with other issues while all we are interested in is it's failure to perform up to expectations.
  • ednjenn
    ednjenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    May sound silly, but try taking your show on the road. Treadmills are energy saps for me. Try going outside, taking a jog on a walking path with an approximate known lenght and keep the eyes up and jog. You may still head the lead leg stage, but if you continue towards a fixed point, you might find it's mental and after the lead leg lifts you can go quite far. I always get the brick leg feeling at about 1/4 mile and it takes to about 3/4 mile to go away and I actually feel better at the last 1/2 mile then I do for the first. But on a treadmill I just can't. Hate it.

My .02 uneducated cents.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You're going too fast, slow down. Buy and wear a HR monitor, use it instead, see if your heart is really that high, it may not be as high as you think. Do run/walk intervals until you get your distance up to what you want it to be.

I disagree with some of the other posters, .65 of a mile is not significant enough IMO to be that much effected by your calorie intake. I maintain about 1200-1500 per day and run about 40 miles a week, my longest runs have been 20 miles and I'm running another marathon in a few weeks. IMO anything under an hour of fitness probably isn't going to be that much burden on your overall fitness level and ability. You may not be able to maintain it as long if you aren't fueling, but .65 mile really isn't significant.

If you are having blood work done, have your thyroid checked, it can effect your HR if hyperthyroid as well as hypothryoid. Also, I don't worry as much about my overall HR but I am more concerned about how fast I'm recovering. It can also be your iron levels.

If you are on the treadmill indoors, you probably are being bothered by the temp in the room too. If your calves are sore, get a foam roller, stretching is good at all times, but there again, with only .65 mile of a run, stretching probably isn't your issue.

The first few mile of ANY run are always hard. It takes me about 1-3 miles to feel into a groove, then about mile 6 I feel like I'm where I want to be. That first mile is your body telling you that you are ready to work. Stay at a slower pace for longer, and quit trying to over think it. One of my favorite things I read when just starting was to tell myself "But it doesn't matter" so when my legs are not just picking up fast as I want them to, or I have a weird ache, I tell myself, But... it doesn't matter. You are trying to push yourself into something that your body isn't used to, talk yourself through it, sounds more mental to me than physical.