Arrggh...help!! I keep....

Options
going over my carb intake for the day or else so close that I cannot use my calories that I have left even if I wanted to as it wold send me over...I have recently started back at college and seem to be hungrier than before for some reason...I am trying to be as healthy as possible but salads that stay in my bag all day are not very appetising and I revert to a sandwich...Any ideas would be great, also I have a child to think about and time is of the essence between her schooling and my college so long recipes really wont work :(

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    going over my carb intake for the day or else so close that I cannot use my calories that I have left even if I wanted to as it wold send me over...I have recently started back at college and seem to be hungrier than before for some reason...I am trying to be as healthy as possible but salads that stay in my bag all day are not very appetising and I revert to a sandwich...Any ideas would be great, also I have a child to think about and time is of the essence between her schooling and my college so long recipes really wont work :(

have you tried using a low carb/high fiber tortilla instead of bread? I rarely have real bread anymore, but I do eat wraps.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Take some time when you aren't running around with school and everything else to PLAN what kinds of foods will work for you and then stock up and be prepared. It doesn't all have to be salads. I get sick of eating salad every day. Some things I keep prepared...
    Tuna, small amount of crackers and cucumber slices.
    Carrots and hummus with a side of crackers.
    Tomatoes and a small amount of french dressing.
    Crab Delights dipped in Iron Chef Orange Sauce with Ginger (watered down a little bit to cut the calories)
    Mix your favorite frozen veggies with a can of low sodium V8 in a bowl, heat it up and you have an instant vegetable soup.
    Tomato soup on the go with a slice of bread.
    Hope this helps. Good luck! It's difficult being a busy mom.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    have you tried using a low carb/high fiber tortilla instead of bread? I rarely have real bread anymore, but I do eat wraps.

Great idea! I don't think of that often enough. Sometimes I make microwave scrambled eggs and put the eggs in a tortilla with a little salsa for breakfast. Maybe a bit of shredded cheddar. It's a quick meal that you can take in the car :-)
  • AndoRules
    AndoRules Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

I've stuck through Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet for 3 weeks and am on Phase 2 now. The first week of any low-carb diet is always the toughest. It's getting over those cravings that's the hardest part, but eventually you will and then you'll find that you don't even really miss them.

What was really holding me down was I was trying to do both the very low carb (less than 20/day) AND keep my calories below 1,500. When you intially start it is EXTREMELY difficult to try and do this, as a majority of the foods you can eat on a low/no carb diet are higher in calories and fat.

My advice: Don't worry about the calories until your cravings stop. I mean, don't go overboard though and eat 3k a day, but eat until you're full, and then eventually you'll start to feel full longer and with less food.

Low carb diets can get VERY monotonous and boring. It's best to try and change things up as often as you can so you don't get burnt out (I don't think I can eat eggs again for a while haha)

Breakfast was always tough for me, but I found these Jimmy Dean frozen omelettes that actually tase pretty good! And they're pretty low in carbs too. Also a good protein powder with 1/2 cup of skim milk and the rest water will not only fill you up, but will keep you full almost until lunch!

Celery with natural peanut butter was a lifesaver at times for me, it's a hearty snack that will fill you up and has great flavor! I also invested in low fat string cheese and mini baby bells.

I did eat a lot of tuna and egg salad. If you're feeling like you're in a rut Mission also makes carb-friendly tortillas. They're a bit pricy, but you honestly can't tell a difference.

Just keep drinking water throughout the day and don't worry about the number of calories you eat until your initial cravings have passed and you'll do great!
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys, I havent heard of low carb tortilla or seen them anywhere to be honest....however I live in Ireland so maybe we haven't got them yet ha ha :D
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I switched from bread to rollups made with Low Carb/Low fat tortillas. They actually taste better than regular tortillas, though they're a bit pricey. 50 calories for a small one and 10 carbs.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just use your diary to juggle around your foods and try to get rid of some of the carbs.

It would help if your diary was public so we can make informed suggestions.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    My dad has been on a low-carb diet for as long as I can remember and we have always found that the worst things for you in that department are pasta (which they have low-carb pasta which still tastes great if you want to try that) and bread (which to solve we started making wraps and such instead of sandwiches). Fruits also tend to have more carbs than veggies - so if you're eating a ton of fruits then maybe you could also try switching some of those portions over to the vegetable category.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad is something I'll eat pretty often and to make it almost zero carbs, use celery sticks like a spoon to eat it. You can do the same with egg salad or chicken salad. You can put in diced cucumber, celery, radishes, onions, chopped nuts, etc. for a flavor variety. At home, I like stir fry. I've used miracle noodles (no calories or carbs) stirred in, too.

For a nice treat, try sugar free gelatins.