Weight lifting Advice - blacking out while lifting

Options
Today I attempted to complete a workout session of "heavy lifting." About four weeks ago I had a PT session and she taught me the correct ways to lift and what weight levels I should start at. Today, when I had just started my second round I began to blackout while in the squat rack doing lunges. Fortunately I made it to a safe place before completely losing control. Is this common? Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't feel too worn out, and I was trying to breath correctly and perform each "move" correctly. Maybe I just need to keep at it and get more experience. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to share.

Replies

• Big_Daddy6
    Options
    I almost passed out once doing deadlifts. It was a very heavy load. Although I thought I was breathing correctly I wasn't. It's easy while you are in the moment to get your breathing out of sync. That's probably what it was but you still might want to see a doc....
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, thats why I made a statement that I was afraid I'd have a heart attack if I lifted heavy, but I'm not young. I blacked out when I was young. I lowered the weight tremendously and started learning all over again. Jeez I was a bit too cautious because I raised it a pound a year!! I only got up to 10 pounds, that blackout scared me really bad. Never has happened again though.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think I may try both of those suggestions. I will remove a little weight and try focusing even more on my breathing. Thanks for the advice.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Like this

http://youtu.be/b3aNDzXW1Sw

LOL yea it happen. How much do you eat. When doing strength training you can't eat a low calories diet!!!! I deadlift one and a haft time my weight and make sure to take a few good breath before and after or I start feeling light headed
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've never actually blacked out, but I've felt really light headed before. Usually when I haven't eaten enough that day (carbs specifically) and occaisionally when it's TOM.

Also, the breathing advice from others is good.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Maybe the weight was too heavy. People have blacked out doing leg work because blood sugar dropping or a blood rush to the area. They are large muscles.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options
    Like this

http://youtu.be/b3aNDzXW1Sw

LOL yea it happen. How much do you eat. When doing strength training you can't eat a low calories diet!!!! I deadlift one and a haft time my weight and make sure to take a few good breath before and after or I start feeling light headed

Holy crap......poor guy....... I hope if I ever show off like that after a lift I don't pass out like that guy......hahaha
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat more carbs and drink more water.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of the other comments I haven't blacked out but I have come close. I get dizzy a lot. Most of the time it's my breathing, you really really need to concentrate on your breathing when you're lifting heavy. Also, make sure you eat enough. Everyone is different but I need to have carbs pretty close to my work out. I eat a small healthy carb heavy snack an hour or so before and some dried fruit half hour before and it helps me a lot.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time. The lightheadedness from blood rushing to your muscles/organs, I mean, not actual blacking out. People actually blacking out is extremely rare.

I make it a point to have a place to sit nearby when doing heavy squats or heavy deadlifts. I don't always need it, but better safe than sorry. I don't like waiting for the floor to start spinning before I look for a place to plop down. And after completing a heavy set I have no qualms about kneeling down on the floor or leaning on the rack for 30 secs or so before moving around.

ps. Without even clicking that youtube link, I'd bet money that it's the guy deadlifting 400 lbs (with terrible form) and the passing out face first into the dumbbell rack. Wanna know how I know it's that one? Because it's the only video of somebody actually passing out. 1000s of gym fails on youtube, that's the only one where somebody dropped. Like I said, passing out is extremely rare.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Happens all the time. The lightheadedness from blood rushing to your muscles/organs, I mean, not actual blacking out. People actually blacking out is extremely rare.

I make it a point to have a place to sit nearby when doing heavy squats or heavy deadlifts. I don't always need it, but better safe than sorry. I don't like waiting for the floor to start spinning before I look for a place to plop down. And after completing a heavy set I have no qualms about kneeling down on the floor or leaning on the rack for 30 secs or so before moving around.

ps. Without even clicking that youtube link, I'd bet money that it's the guy deadlifting 400 lbs (with terrible form) and the passing out face first into the dumbbell rack. Wanna know how I know it's that one? Because it's the only video of somebody actually passing out. 1000s of gym fails on youtube, that's the only one where somebody dropped. Like I said, passing out is extremely rare.
    Correct, and correct again on the vid.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Eat more carbs and drink more water.

Maybe some salt and\or other electrolyte producing substances too. I have never come close to blacking out during a lift. I have been light headed directly after pulls fromt he floor like deadlifts and barbell rows. I sometimes take a knee as soon as I put the bar down after my last rep.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I've never blacked out but I saw stars once when I really pushed myself on some squats.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The first time i had a session with a trainer i went in without eating and he had me doing all this heavy weightlifting exercises i started to get dizzy and nauseous so i went into the locker room and passed out next to the urinal.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The first time i had a session with a trainer i went in without eating and he had me doing all this heavy weightlifting exercises i started to get dizzy and nauseous so i went into the locker room and passed out next to the urinal.
    O_O
    dang !
    i think the problem is people don't know that you have to exhale inhale when you lift. Every rep you inhale exhale. If you hold your breath when your body is doing extrenous activity then that can't be good.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    O_O
    dang !
    i think the problem is people don't know that you have to exhale inhale when you lift. Every rep you inhale exhale. If you hold your breath when your body is doing extrenous activity then that can't be good.

My trainer was always telling me this. I always forget to breath.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    All the comments about eating enough or not eating a low cal diet and strength training are silly. A lot of people lift in a fasted state and are fine. I lift in a fasted state and am eating 10% below TDEE on lifting days and 20% on non-lifting days and am fine. I'll admit that when I really push the set I'll get winded especially squats, DL's and OHP's but when I'm done I'll stand there (kneel for DL) and take a second to compose myself before I move, never passed out. It really comes down to learning how to breathe.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    All the comments about eating enough or not eating a low cal diet and strength training are silly. A lot of people lift in a fasted state and are fine. I lift in a fasted state and am eating 10% below TDEE on lifting days and 20% on non-lifting days and am fine. I'll admit that when I really push the set I'll get winded especially squats, DL's and OHP's but when I'm done I'll stand there (kneel for DL) and take a second to compose myself before I move, never passed out. It really comes down to learning how to breathe.

Well I lift fasted too but some girls here try to lift while eating 1200 calories a day.....it is like TDEE -50%
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Some people are doing this on much bigger cuts than 10 or 20% and thats where problem arises. They barely have enough energy to function through a normal day before you get them doing heavy weights.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Fasted is different than eating enough. Just because you don't have food sitting in your gut at the time of exercises doesn't mean you don't glycogen stores in your muscles, your blood sugar isn't balanced, and your doesn't have energy from your previous meals.