First Half Marathon Clothing

Sunday im runningmy first half and the temperature is going to be between 44-55 degrees and I have no idea what to wear and I need some help!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Wear whatever you usually wear to train in such weather - a half marathon is not the time to try something new.
    Generally though, if it's going to be cool (I can't relate to temps in F but that sounds cold to me) you want layers to wear to the start line and maybe a layer that you can discard along the way.
    Find out if they have a bag drop service so you have something warm and dry to put on at the finish.
    Good luck!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    You should dress as though its 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is. Don't wear anything you haven't already tried out on a run. For those temperatures, I would wear an outer layer of sweat clothes that I didn't care about losing to the starting line, and strip them off right before the start (or take the pants off right before starting to run, and lose the shirt a mile or two in when I was warm). If its a big race with an Expo, sometimes they sell 'sheddable shells', which are cheap, rip-away, and insulated. Good luck!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Its hard because I have not ran in weather like this in a long time.
  • I know what you mean about the weather! The summer has been so hot. My race last weekend was in the fifties-low sixties. It was really cold in the early morning but as the day gets warmer, so will you. I wore capris with a short sleeve top. Everything I had on was some sort of wicking material, so I stayed cool during the run and didn't freeze afterward. Definitely don't run in clothes you haven't run in before. It would suck if you started the race only to find out you will be pulling your pants up the whole time.
    Good luck!
    I can't wait to hear how it went!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Tank top and capris is what I was thinking. Just dont want to lose clothes along the way
  • allyfry
    allyfry Posts: 22 Member
    I think a tank and capris would be good for the most part. It takes me a while to warm up, so I would start out with a long sleeved shirt on top of that, then try to position a friend or family member around mile 1-2 to hand the extra clothing off to. An alternative is to make a set of sleeves. You can buy these, but they are usually expensive. Or get a long sleeve shirt at a thrift store that is a size too small so that the sleeves are snug the whole way, then cut them off of the shirt. I find this less annoying to run with tied on my waist than a real shirt and I don't feel bad if I toss them.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    So exciting!!! GL! If its 40's you are definitely going to want a long sleeved shirt. A thin one at the very minimum. Maybe even a sweatshirt or jacket. That's pretty chilly weather especially if you are not used to it. Just a tank and capris will be really cold. It's mid 50's out in San Francisco where I run and I always need to start with a jacket, long sleeved shirt, then end up in running tank and capris.

Lululemon has some thin long sleeved running tees that don't need to be broken in and they are small enough so you could fold it and tuck it into the back of a running belt.

Have a great run!!