RUNNING QUESTION.

Options
Ugh does anyone else tend to put the most pressure on their toe area when they run? I do it and I really don't think it's good.....

Replies

• cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did until I went and got some proper shoes fitted it cost $300 Nz but so worth it.
    I haven't had any injury issues since then =)
  • wattsj56
    Options
    Well I just bought new shoes yesterday and I REALLY love them.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Normally I say run however feels comfortable (as in the forefoot/midfoot/heel strike debate), but putting all your weight on your toes with each step worries me. You mean actually your toes, not the ball of your foot? If it's actually the toes, yes I would be worried about stress fractures as you build up distance. I would make an effort to shift your strike more to the ball of the foot (or midfoot).
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This site has a video on good running form:

http://www.stridemechanics.com/about.html

I actually WANT to run like you. I'm naturally a heal striker, meaning my feet tend to come down out in front of my hips. When your heal strikes first you knee is typically straight, and the impact goes directly up your leg to your body.

If you plant your foot under you hips on the toe or mid foot then your knees in bent and the impact is absorbed by the arch of your foot and the muscles in your legs. It probably means you are running with GOOD form and driving your legs behind you.

I'm trying to relearn how to run. I'm forcing myself to "fall forward.' I drive my arms back and try not to let my hands swing in front of my hips (your hand position influence your foot fall). I do my best to come down on my mid-foot or fore-foot under my hips and drive my legs back. I don't think I will ever substantially alter my running form... but I'm trying.

Find a running group, or local track coach. They will probably tell you that you have good form.