Sever period pain - exercise NOT helping!

Options

Replies

• millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad about missing workouts - I've just spent the last 4 days in my pjs feeling very sorry for myself having skipped the last break in my pill and my period came back with a vengeance!! exercise just wasn't on my agenda at all!

I hope I don't offend anyone saying this, I know people have different stances on these issues, but I've always found smoking a bit of cannabis can help. Relaxes the muscles and helps with PMS moods.

Either way, it'll be over soon and I think seeing the dr if this is unusual is probably best :)
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    By the way, there's no reason not to run a couple of packs together and miss a bleed - in fact doctors say the only reason to have a break at all is because women like the reassurance of a regular period.

I agree completely, I threw in the comment about it because I've found many articles online where women are completely against the pill and using it to skips periods.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Don't feel too bad about missing workouts - I've just spent the last 4 days in my pjs feeling very sorry for myself having skipped the last break in my pill and my period came back with a vengeance!! exercise just wasn't on my agenda at all!

I hope I don't offend anyone saying this, I know people have different stances on these issues, but I've always found smoking a bit of cannabis can help. Relaxes the muscles and helps with PMS moods.

Either way, it'll be over soon and I think seeing the dr if this is unusual is probably best :)

You haven't offended me but I will say that I've never ever touched the stuff and never will, I don't even know what it smells like and people have called me "sheltered" because of that.. Which annoys the hell out of me. But sorry, would never even considered touching something like that.
  • sazroy
    Options
    I just forced myself to burn 200 calories on the stationary bike because I ate chocolate (I wanted it so badly lol cravings) which sent me over my cal limit by 166 calories so it hurt, but I persevered and did 32 minutes (slowly) to get to 200 lol. That'll satisfy me, as long as I make sure I stay under my calorie goal which I always do any other time, just harder with wanting to eat everything during this time lol but I'll be happy tonight knowing I'm still under :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    By the way, there's no reason not to run a couple of packs together and miss a bleed - in fact doctors say the only reason to have a break at all is because women like the reassurance of a regular period.

I agree completely, I threw in the comment about it because I've found many articles online where women are completely against the pill and using it to skips periods.
    You may want to talk to your doc about continually skipping. I had severe cramps (four days and couldn't move out of the fetal position, which was probably good because if I moved it was like the flood gates opened) and was put on BCP which lightened the cramps and they cycle. Last year I started getting migraine headaches for the first 2-3 days so my OB/GYN changed my script from a tri level pill to a constant level and told me to always skip the sugar pill week and not have a cycle at all (so far about every other month I have spotting and mild headaches) her position is that I don't need the cycle unless/until I'm ready to get pregnant and because I am on a low dose anyway, it will not affect my fertility. So check it out
  • xjmcx
    xjmcx Posts: 27
    Options
    I find sometimes that a gentle walk helps... Nothing too strenuous. But mostly I'll just relax in a comfy lounge with a heat pack and cup of tea... I try to avoid painkillers for no reason other than I just don't like taking them! I don't think there's any point exercising if you're going to feel horrible after it! But that's just me :)
  • sazroy
    Options
    I went to the doctors, she said the pill isn't the problem and therefore hasn't change the one I'm on, she said that skipping it could create a little extra pain but not really.. Her description of it all was basically, I'm getting older and I haven't had children so my periods will progressively get worse until I do have kids, but then she was like "I'm not telling you to rush out and have a child though" lol but she said with most women that is the case, something to do with the cervix.. but she gave me a prescription to start just before I get my next one, I only take it while I'm getting my monthly and it's to stop the production of prostagladins (spelling?) which reduces cramps etc.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had sever pain and bleeding. My doctor suspected it was adenomyosis. THe only problem was that we couldnt tell until he actually removed my uterus. I had my uterus taken out a year ago and sure enough I had adenomyosis. I feel so much better now....I never have any of that pain!!! Please go get checked out! Its not normal if it interferes with your daily activities.

Take Care!
    This is what I had for years. I always had excrutiating pain and didn't find out until I was around 50 that this was the cause. A lot of information a little too late. Ask your doctor about this!
  • tarapiglet
    Options
    Read The Anti-Estrogenic Diet.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    That was the biggest crock of shiitake mushrooms anybody ever told me! I will NEVER exercise to relieve cramps EVER again!!! It made them 30 times worse than before! Worst advice EVER!

See your doctor to prescribe a prescription med to help with the pain. God bless the pharmaceutical companies for creating muscle relaxers. (not sure if that is already the med your taking).

I usually just have to take a day to lay in bed and wallow like an injured lamb.

This. Walking usually leaves me gasping and doubled over. Exercise? ****. No.
  • fuzzysham
    fuzzysham Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you considered not ever stopping for a placebo/period week? There's other pills you can try that don't have as many placebos or none at all or you can skip your period every month since it isn't necessary to have that period. Theres a pill brand called Lybrel that the fda approved and it contains NO placebo pills at all, so you take it 365 a year, that might be a option for you!
    It's not medically necessary to have a off week on hormonal birth control, so why put yourself through even more pain?
    Hope that helped =)
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I can hardly walk :( I'm on the pill but skipped my period recently (which have been told by doctors is safe to do so don't give me crap about it - it's a controversial topic and both sides have fair points but this post isn't about that) Just going to the shops last night felt impossible, tried to push through the pain but really I had to do my shop in under ten minutes just so I could get back home. Have taken two Ibuprofen and one Paracetamol.. no help. Using a heat/wheat bag, no help. I start work in 2 hours and don't know if I can last the 7 hour shift. But my main concern is.. I can hardly move and exercise and trying to push through it is not helping. I lost 1.1kgs (2.4lbs) last week and this week so far have lost nothing (no gain though) and it just brings me down not being able to exercise to keep losing the weight. Any women out there who can offer advice? I know alot of you will say that exercise will help, but every person is different and if you haven't suffered crippling period pain before than please don't judge.

My guess is, you might not be hydrated well enough for I don't cramp throughout my monthlies and that is possibly the reason (all about H2O for me), only that instinctively, having read your description I would much prefer you see a gynae about this, for you're having to take pain killers at all and in large doses plus your heat therapy is proving to be futile.

Edited: Typo
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    omg plz learn to spell n maybe try an aspirin it should help a bit
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know advice from a guy may seem strange on this but a friend went through this. She started taking vitamins with extra iron. Apparently this was a sign of iron deficiency.
  • mxzilla
    mxzilla Posts: 14
    Options
    A 440mg dose of naproxen usually fixes me up in no time. v__v
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate is the key. You should add this supplement to your diet. It wil not help you right now, but you should notice a marked difference next time.
  • Bmoviemama
    Options
    Believe it or not sex works!!! Having an orgasm....something to do with the endorphins probably.
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    oops i meant ibuprofen not advil. hmm very interesting i never heard of that b4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-oestrogenic_diet
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just went through the same exact thing this week. Sunday I had the WORST cramps I have ever had.. to the point I was almost in tears.

I stayed home Monday from work and skipped the gym all week except some light weights and walking yesterday. I have a class tonight that I am not super excited for but I already paid for it and I am not missing it again.

So missing a workout... or 2 or 3 won't undo all you have done. Just eat right and once it's over get back on routine.
  • dubrey84
    dubrey84 Posts: 6
    Options
    You may want to check you water and iron intake. that helps ALOT with period pain.