Protein Powder containers?

Options
I think of this every morning when I make my shake. Any idea WHY the protein powder containers seem to be twice as big as they need to be??? I buy Isofemme and, upon opening, the container is always half full/half empty depending upon your disposition :smile: For some reason this bugs me...seems like a waste. Why do they do this?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It's to do with how they package as well as settling.

Think of it this way: In a high-speed line (factory of course) what gets you the most product really? An oversized container with enough room to fit as much protein and have less spillage, OR use an 880g container (example) and have more product spill on the line than it would the over-sized container?

Also has to do with packaging, the bigger you are the more you're seen right? As well there is some settling involved. So when it's initially filled it takes up more room than when it settles a short while later. Also has to do with another marketing scheme really...Knowing by experience that ALLMAX is on the pricey side, would you pay the price for something which looks like it has plenty of? Or would you ask for cheaper in a smaller container?

Makes me wonder though...How does the company I get my recovery brew from make the stuff fit in an exactly 880g container? Granted it's almost over-filled, the smaller size IS convenient however.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    bigger is better? ;)
  • pinkfluff79
    pinkfluff79 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just went to make a shake and thought to myself the exact same question
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    So you can pour a half gallon of milk in it and enjoy all day! lol
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work at the facility where most of the whey protein is made. The containers are filled by volume, and they do look full at the factory- by the time it reaches the consumer it's "packed" down because of all the tumbling during transit.
    By the way- I can buy the pure whey protein- no fillers or sugar and I only pay $10 for 80 ounces.
  • JLand918
    Options
    I myself would like to see them start making them in packets like most MRP's are. So I dont have to measure etc I just grab how many I need and go. Not sure if its less waste but I guess it could be worse in that it is a pain when you open up the container to not see the scoop to find out its in the bottom somewhere :)
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I work at the facility where most of the whey protein is made. The containers are filled by volume, and they do look full at the factory- by the time it reaches the consumer it's "packed" down because of all the tumbling during transit.
    By the way- I can buy the pure whey protein- no fillers or sugar and I only pay $10 for 80 ounces.

hook it up
  • lrcross
    Options
    ...it says on some containers, "sold by weight not volume" which leads me to believe the consumer is being fooled by the huge container. That container will never be "full".

Just my two cents~
  • JLand918
    Options

Now your just teasing us...that's mean :) I just spent $30 on 2lbs
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    "OMG that is a HUGE container...maybe it will make my muscles huge too!". LOL :laugh:
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options

I can certainly see settling is PART of the issue, but half of the container!? sigh...I'm getting ripped off... $24 for 15 ounces :noway:
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I can certainly see settling is PART of the issue, but half of the container!? sigh...I'm getting ripped off... $24 for 15 ounces :noway:

I pay $40.99 for a 5-lb tub (granted it's not ON and it doesn't mix wonderfully but I don't mind the clumps)... and here I thought I was being sneaky and getting a good deal. Is this some kind of a discount you get?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I went to buy my usuall egg white, Jay Robb, protein powder at Krogers and it was in a foil pouch instead of the oversized cardboard container
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Big *kitten* tub of Body Fortress from Walmart for $15 bucks.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    They are huge because it makes the game "Find that scoop" 15x more fun every fresh protein tub!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I try to buy the bagged variety. I've noticed they're at least 3/4 full compared to 1/2 full on the tubs.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    They are huge because it makes the game "Find that scoop" 15x more fun every fresh protein tub!

Now that's funny. I don't like that game though! :laugh:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

ha, this!