Cravings

Options
I started MFP a few montha ago.... Lately I've noticed that all I want is snacks... Chocolate, salt anything non healthy anyone have any tips to power through this?

Replies

• HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    For me it is at night, but I have finished losing weight. Keep logging and keep going at it strong! I'm sure you are doing great!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I buy skinny cow candy! It fixes my chocolate need and it's not too bad calorie wise!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unless you have problems with binges, it's fine to eat a little of what you're craving. That's a good way to power through it. Just fit it into your macros (protein, fat, carbs) and calorie allowance for the day.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Use stevia as a sweetener, that helps me cut the sugar cravings
    Almonds, pretzel sticks, apples - best of luck to you!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just ate half a twix bar..... so I'm no help :)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, you're no help? You've lost 173lbs. You're exactly right. When we crave something we eat it. That's how it works. That's what we have learned on this sight! Losing weight without being hungry and unhappy. Thank you.
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of semi sweets chocolate chips in the freezer (used for baking) After a few of those melting in my mouth, the craving is gone. It really is so much better than to break down and get a candybar.. or for that matter.. a whole bag of cookies.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I started MFP a few montha ago.... Lately I've noticed that all I want is snacks... Chocolate, salt anything non healthy anyone have any tips to power through this?

There are many reasons why our body sends the signal to eat snacks. The only way to give you successful advice is if we know what triggers this or what is going on prior to it. Are you bored? Are you stressed? Are you lacking flavors you enjoy? Are you dehydrated? Are you addicted? Are you trying not to binge? As soon as we understand the psychological aspect of the snacking, I can give you advice on how to overcome it. Let me and the rest know when this craving happens and any feelings you have that occur at the same time.
  • brittanyanneg
    Options
    Instead of eating bad sweets try natural sweets like fruits. That's what I do. Or limit yourself to one of your favorite sweets a week.
  • o0oJadeo0o
    o0oJadeo0o Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I love this comment...very honest :smile: I had a ham and cheese toasty on WHITE BREAD for brecky and an ice coffee so I'm even worse!!!

If I get a really bad craving and I can feel myself eyeing off the fridge I put on my shoes and go for a walk or get busy cleaning, anything to get your mind off it!

Good luck :)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I know my post is getting buried so I'm just going to say it like this: we could suggest all the great snacking foods in the world, but your snacking is satisfying some kind of need for you, and the only way to make it stop is to look at the big picture and find out what's making you want these specific things. I say this because when I crave, I don't crave ANYTHING specific. I used to, but I got rid of the emotional reasons I was snacking and now when I crave I realize it's mealtime. So take my psychoanalyzing into consideration and really pay attention to the state your body is in when you reach for snacks.
  • meaganmorrow1984
    meaganmorrow1984 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

lol, I hope it was good!!!
  • meaganmorrow1984
    Options
    I know my post is getting buried so I'm just going to say it like this: we could suggest all the great snacking foods in the world, but your snacking is satisfying some kind of need for you, and the only way to make it stop is to look at the big picture and find out what's making you want these specific things. I say this because when I crave, I don't crave ANYTHING specific. I used to, but I got rid of the emotional reasons I was snacking and now when I crave I realize it's mealtime. So take my psychoanalyzing into consideration and really pay attention to the state your body is in when you reach for snacks.

Great thinking! Thank you!
  • meaganmorrow1984
    Options

There are many reasons why our body sends the signal to eat snacks. The only way to give you successful advice is if we know what triggers this or what is going on prior to it. Are you bored? Are you stressed? Are you lacking flavors you enjoy? Are you dehydrated? Are you addicted? Are you trying not to binge? As soon as we understand the psychological aspect of the snacking, I can give you advice on how to overcome it. Let me and the rest know when this craving happens and any feelings you have that occur at the same time.

It usually is when I'm bored.. Just sitting and watching tv or if I'm worried about something (upcoming trip across Canada) I haven't caved and eaten anything too bad but its the want and its just making sure i don't actually eat it...
  • betrue76
    Options
    I drink Silk Pure Almond Dark Chocolate milk if I get a craving in the evening or a half serving of peanut butter.

Another trick my friend does is she counts to 30 if the craving is still there she drinks water instead of getting the snack. 30 seconds is enough to give you time to make the better choice.

Good Luck.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I have Extra Desserts Gum in my purse for those "SWEET TOOTH" days. the salt days are rough but, sometimes, I have a small handful of chips or bugles or something and I am good. Another thing that helps with my sweet tooth is Fiber One Brownies. :)
  • MelSabourin
    MelSabourin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am sitting at work right now eating a bag of snap peas (yay me)...imagining they are french fries.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Personally, I sometimes crave chicken (weird I know lol), or then again it might be something sweet or salty

After a meal I have a little teaspoon of nutella, or I have a a handful of salted peanuts, or if it is the chicken thing, then I eat some, yep you got it chicken!

Sometimes those cravings are just the mind/body saying it misses something, so go with it, indulge, but if it is something high calorie that is going to blow your day out of the water then just a little to treat yourself.

You are on a lifetime change here, so you can not deny yourself everything all the time.

You have to work it in or you can work out to make up for it?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've really found that adding something delicious to a protein shake helps. Here is my go-to craving buster mocha chocolate chip smoothie:

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (Vitamin Shoppe Whey 24 Chocolate flavor is delicious with 24g protein, 110 calories, 1g fat, and 3 carbs)
    1 tbsp peanut butter or PB2
    4 oz unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    Dash of instant coffee
    1 Tbsp Dark Chocolate chips
    3 Ice cubes
    Water for desired consistency

Good luck!
    Kat
  • lisarennick
    Options
    I crave ice cream almost daily. I make a lot of smoothies filled with ice and no dairy to curve those cravings.

As for something salty, I've been having corn on the cob. I know it sounds like an odd thing to eat in the middle of the day for a snack, but using some sea salt on a cob of corn has been my life saver. You don't feel like chips at all after eating that.

As for chocolate, I like to drink a cup of chocolate milk (either 1% or almond) through a straw. It helps to prevent you from gulping down the entire glass in a matter of seconds. If you have self control, buy halloween sized candy bars. They range from 60-90 calories a bar. Pop them in the freezer so they take a little longer to eat. It also prevents you from eating 2 or 3 because they take longer to thaw.

Hope some of this helps!