Juice Diet/Clense

Options
I mentioned that i was trying to lose weight while at work and a coworker suggested i try a juice diet, he swears that i will loose 10-15lbs in 10days, sounds like baloney to me....what do you think?

Replies

• JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Even if you could, which I doubt, dropping weight that swiftly is NOT healthy.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix or Blockbuster, etc.....look up a documentary called "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" it's about a guy that was really overweight, and started an all juice diet, breakfast lunch and dinner......and over a 60 (or maybe it was 90) day period, he shedded a lot of weight, even "cured" some terminal illness he was suffering from, and got off of his medications......of course this was all done thru the supervision of his doctor.....with lots of blood work, etc....he would juice up all kind of crazy stuff, and he traveled around the U.S. etc....
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yup youll lose water weight...and muscle as well...

more muscle the more calories you burn...

do you need to lose a little weight fast..or just dont want to wait a month and work hard/eat right?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you look at what you can eat on a juice diet then you'd notice that it's actually a vegan diet. Just lift some weights and add some tofu or other vegetables that contain protein to prevent muscle loss. You should see results fast
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There is this program in some naturopathy clinics (I don't know how healthy those are), which my sister-in-law attended. They put her on a fluid diet for 5 days and then on a fruit/veggie diet for another 5 days. She lost 5 kgs. But, a month after the program ended, she had gained all that right back.

I don't really believe in quick fixes when it comes to diet, I think making serious lifestyle changes is what will help you in the long run. Besides, some scientists say we don't even need to "cleanse" our bodies as some diets claim to do - they say the body can remove its toxins through normal processes like sweat and other excrement.
  • SheriSherman
    Options
    I tried the juice diet and did loose some weight but as soon as I started to eat solid food, most of the pounds came back. And I was hungry still.
  • zhidecitta
    zhidecitta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As ahoier mentioned, watch the "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" movie. If you notice, he's not calorie or nutrient deprived, as he has an unlimited budget and is doing it right. He's eating on the order of 10 or 20 pounds of fruits and vegetables a day. The juicer removes the fiber, making you not actually consume that volume of solids. The cleanse approach, if you decide to take it, isn't about getting rid of calories. You eat TONS of food, just in liquid form. If you you don't make enough juice, or anything that severely puts your MFP goals off, then like stormsusmc said, your body will be eating itself. The explosive weight loss from juicing happens mostly when people aren't taking care of their nutritional needs. You should see similar, and just as healthy weight loss if you followed a careful diet of normal foods. You still need to hit a daily quota of calories and protein with a juicing diet to be healthy. It's requires a LOT of food though. Far more than you'd expect. Don't look at it as a fast, as even most people into juicing refer to it as a "juice feast" to show that you're getting all you need (when doing it right). Look at it as a vegan diet, and make sure you still calorie count, and watch protein levels especially. It can be done. Things like spinach are high in protein for the amount of juice they make, and calories they add. Drinking a couple of glasses of kale and carrot juice a day will only make you starve yourself, doing just as much damage as giving up eating altogether. Personally, if you want to try a liquid diet, I suggest drinking a protein shake a couple times a day. If you want to keep the theme of the cleanse in tact (even though science has never found any benefit to it), people like Garden of LIfe and Sun Warrior offer raw vegan protein shakes. Be careful to not take any diet away from healthy levels of nutrition. Whatever gains you have won't be healthy ones.