Balance betwen calorie intake and other nutrients

Options
So I started keeping track of calories and what I am eating only a few weeks ago. I am having a difficult time getting up to my calories without going over on fat and sugar. Suggestions, thoughts? ideas for good recipes?

Replies

• Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that if I drastically cut my carbohydrates (I'm aiming for less than 30 grams per day) that the calories take care of themselves. (I also have my fat and protein goal levels set *much* higher than what MFP recommends as a default.) I really don't worry about whether the food I'm eating has "too much" fat. If I strictly control my carbs, my body needs the fat to process the protein.

YMMV, but it's working great for me. :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you are going over.
    Sugar that's part of foods, like in fruit, I wouldn't worry about because it comes with good nutrients -- unless you have a medical condition like diabetes. Fats, like omega 3s, are good for you, but saturated fat should be reduced, if you can.
    But here are some thing you can do to shift your food mix... increase your protein, decrease processed foods, increase fiber. Bake, boil, broil or grill instead of frying or sautéing. Watch condiments... try mustard or Worcestershire sauce instead of mayonnaise, leave off flour-based gravies, use a vinaigrette with a high proportion of vinegar instead of commercial high-fat or sugar dressings.
    Good luck!
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How are your macros set? Did you create a custom profile based on the dietary lifestyle you choose to follow? I eat a low carb/high fat diet, so had I not changed those percentages I'd be in the red every day for fat. If you're over your sugar because of fruit consumption, focus on the overall carb goal instead of just sugar.
  • MtTammany
    Options
    I did not realize that we could change the set numbers. It sounds like a great idea. I was doing a very low carb diet and it worked but I was tired of being so restrictive. I am trying now to find a balance. I am consistently under on carbs and over on Protein

Thanks for the input.!