Sore Muscle

Options
SO I am determined to do this.....My diary is open so feel free to take a look. The problem I am having is this:
I am so sore that I cannot even lift a coffee cup. Tonight for dinner I couldn't even make hamburger patties. I am an EMT and do ALOT of lifting my patient's. I am so sore that I cannot do that. What are some suggestions for recouping the muscle and trying to limit the soreness.

Replies

• neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm curious too. I eat lots of protein, but have been so sore lately. After my last leg workout, I struggled to climb stairs and even sit down for almost a week. Did arms on Sunday and am still really feeling it. I just keep making my bf massage me... Other suggestions would be great :)
  • jentarver
    Options
    potassium potassium + water water.

On hard w.o. days (when I do new moves) I make it a point to hit high marks on my potassium (sweet potatoes, bananas, grapes)
    After every w.o. I have a protein shake, that also has some in it as well.

Basically, the soreness will pass, if it is an emergency and you must lift someone, you still can. Sometimes I noticed if you work out when you are sore, slowly, it helps the "tightness" go away a bit sooner than normal.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am SUCKING it up and sticking to it. Sorry dont want to drop a patient that would suck LOL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am SUCKING it up and sticking to it. Sorry dont want to drop a patient that would suck LOL

Now, sucking it up doesn't mean working the muscle again for like lifting, gentle cardio in recovery HR zone just to get blood flow back is fine.

But that soreness is torn muscle fibers, and if they get a chance to repair, they repair stronger for next time. That's the whole point of lifting, right?

If you work them again hard while sore, you just short circuited that, and little to no repair, certainly not stronger.

All the great suggestions will help once you get used to working out, and the soreness will become less intense and less in length.

But once you feel none - you are maintaining, not getting stronger.

Oh yeah, don't weigh if still sore, almost always water retention in the muscle to aid recovery. False weight gain.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    It gets better with time! I agree about the potassium too!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a whirl pool with jets? I have found letting a jet beat on a sore muscle really helps me.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym I could barely lift my arm to answer the phone, everything bloody hurt and I was completely knackered. As my fitness improved over a period of 4-6 weeks the soreness lessened. Now I can bust my butt doing weights and feel tender but not sore. Stretching a lot really helps but also it just takes time for the body to adjust.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Now, sucking it up doesn't mean working the muscle again for like lifting, gentle cardio in recovery HR zone just to get blood flow back is fine.

But that soreness is torn muscle fibers, and if they get a chance to repair, they repair stronger for next time. That's the whole point of lifting, right?

If you work them again hard while sore, you just short circuited that, and little to no repair, certainly not stronger.

All the great suggestions will help once you get used to working out, and the soreness will become less intense and less in length.

But once you feel none - you are maintaining, not getting stronger.

Oh yeah, don't weigh if still sore, almost always water retention in the muscle to aid recovery. False weight gain.

+1...didnt mean to lift when sore =)

i take cold showers or an ice bath after a heavy session at the gym....tons of athletes do it...and it helps!
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. So maybe a 3-4 day break in between. Maybe do legs instead.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. So maybe a 3-4 day break in between. Maybe do legs instead.

yes dont over do it, or train a certain muscle group back to back...you must allow your body to repair itself...much like a bone when it breaks it comes back stronger...how do you think muscles get stronger? you wouldnt keep walking on a broken foot would ya? ;)