Not sweating

Options
I was wondering, is it possible not to sweat but be working out hard enough? I have never been one to sweat much even when it is extrememly hot. Now as I am working out, I am huffing and puffing so I think I am working hard enough but I am not sweating, what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For arobics, just keep your heart rate up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It may be a medical condition or medicine you take. This happen to my friends son due to the medicine hes taking.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My heart rate can be as high as 160 bpm and not sweat, especially when I'm running along the canal. It's hit and miss with me as to whether I sweat or not. I can't really see any pattern to it...
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat either. Which in one way is great...no sweaty stinky clothes....but it definitely makes me more cranky in the summer on humid days.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sweating is an indication that you're too hot not an indication that you're working hard. Elevated Heart Rate is an indication that you're working hard.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    think everyone is different on this one. I don't sweat that much and neither does my husband but he was saying that some of the people he plays squash against pour with sweat while he has very little despite his style of play being fast and moving more than technique! (Ie the other players are better with shots etc but he is quicker and can run for longer)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Can we trade? I look like a drowning tomato whenever I work out. :laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How much you sweat is partly due to the environment you grew up in as a kid. You develop more sweat glands if you live in a place that is hot and if you didn't have air conditioning and spent a lot of time doing exercise or playing/working outside. Obviously some people develop more sweat glands than others.

People who lived in cool areas as kids or who spent a lot of time inside never sweat as much. They simply don't have as many sweat glands.

If you aren't hydrated properly you won't sweat either.
  • MeShika
    Options
    This used to be my same exact "issue" and I just figured I wasn't much of a "sweat-er"...UNTIL...I started drinking a gallon of water a day! Once I started that, it was as if, the entire gallon was coming back through my pours.
    Not sure how much water you're taking in, but that was the determining factor for me.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Step up your water consumption.
  • starjd
    Options
    I'm just the opposite all I have to do is look at an exercise video and I'm sweating! I guess we're all different, as long as you increase your heart rate when exercising your burning calories :D (If your worried though, go to your GP and get it checked out).
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    This used to be my same exact "issue" and I just figured I wasn't much of a "sweat-er"...UNTIL...I started drinking a gallon of water a day! Once I started that, it was as if, the entire gallon was coming back through my pours.
    Not sure how much water you're taking in, but that was the determining factor for me.

Yep me too.. I never used to sweat much. Now all I have to do is 'look' like I'm going to do something and I sweat. I've taken to bringing another shirt to work with me so I can change just because I sweat like crazy when I am walking there (and it's a SHORT walk) It's a quick pace but I've been doing it for months so it's not really hard and I no longer huff and puff so it can't be that!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The more I exercised the better I got at sweating. Gross but true - your body adapts. IF you stay hydrated AND you're working hard, you'll probably start sweating more, although everybody's different. If you're not sweating at all, that can be really bad - it can be a sign of heatstroke.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    As long as you're working out hard, dont sweat it.