why am I losing???

Options
First up...I'm a gainer/maintainer.

5'4"...Starting weight was 97lbs. Managed to gain 10lbs in a 12 week bulk eating 2300 plus exercise cals. Then I maintained on 2000 For a few weeks, dropped it down to 1900 then gradually 1800 and was happily maintaing on that. Still eating back my exercise calories. (I dropped my Cal amount because I really struggle at eating above 1800 but know I lose on anything less.) So now I have been attempting another bulk..this time on a much more gradual scale and I was hoping that 2000 plus exercise cals would be enough of a surplus to gain slightly ...but at very least maintain but somehow over the last 4-5 weeks I have lost 3lbs which is alot on someone my size, especially cause I worked so hard to gain it.

I'm lifting 3-4 days a week and I do absolutely no cardio..I did have a 3 week break from all exercise but that was a few weeks back now. I log food as accurately as I can. I weigh and measure everything. Any ideas of why I'd still be losing???

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You might be more active than you think. Eat more!!! Its a good problem to have.
  • LMPMOM4
    Options
    I think a lot of people on this site really hate you now :). Just kidding dear. I got a bodymedia Fit and it has been a real eye opener realizing how many calories you burn in a day. Eat!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Come on..wheres all the bulkers?? I know you are out there.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is trying to gain as well - he's about 130 lbs and quite thin. He uses protein power and 'mass gainer' shakes. One of his shakes is about 600 calories but along with eating (he also has a hard time with food) he's managed to gain some. The shakes are really the only way for him because he has such a little appetite normally. Best wishes for your journey :)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have a thyroid problem (which, I dunno, could be worth checking out), you're either not eating as much as you think you are or you're burning more calories than you think you do. Try eating more calorie-dense foods if you're having trouble eating enough? And sit down and actually calculate your calorie needs - hoping you'll gain on a particular program doesn't generally work out as well as doing the math and adjusting based on observed results.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Seriously, if you know you are gaining on 2000 calories and you wan to bulk, why don't you start eating around 2400-2600 calories.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Seriously, if you know you are gaining on 2000 calories and you wan to bulk, why don't you start eating around 2400-2600 calories.

Because eating 2400-2600 calories in the kinds of foods I ENJOY eating is difficult and rather disgusting quantity wise, and causes bloat and sickness, And I don't want to do a mass bulk at this time, I want a slower bulk because I struggled with that amount of food last time.

Not all of us take pleasure in vast amounts of food.

I HAVE maintained on lower than 2000, my question was why am I losing on it now?
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks everyone, esp those who took the time to help :)..Yes I do protein shakes, and yes gainer shakes some days (they are revolting LOL)

Whatever....I'll figure it out.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You should do a small surplus anyway since maximally you can gain 1 lb of actual muscle per month - along with that should come with no more than 1 lb of fat. So you may try adding a surplus above maintenance by 250 calories daily. Being naturally thin, you may need more. If you're gaining approximately 2 lbs per month while lifting heavy for 5-9 reps, you ought to be heading in the right direction. Again, this is assuming that you are providing enough energy on the upper threshold of maintenance before adding the surplus. You just have to experiment each time you do a bulk cycle. Lastly, your body fat percentage impacts the ratio of muscle-to-fat as well - the leaner you are, the less fat you'll gain at a specific surplus.

As for as diet goes, I always break out the desserts with added protein powder to enjoy more calories! :wink: Protein brownies, cheesecake, ice cream smoothies...yes!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you would be losing unless you're more active than what you think. Vast amounts of food probably isn't even doable at your size so how about calorie dense foods? Nuts and nut butters, avocado, different oils incorporated into your meals? It's hard to beleive how much more palatable a teaspoon of flax or olive oil will make a protein shake. Sooo creamy! And it adds calories without all the volume!
    Good luck to you. I have freinds that have as hard a time gaining as I have losing. Fitness and nutrition are key no matter which direction you are trying to make the scale go! Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself? I know that it is suggested that we not weigh ourselves more than once a week, but I find that daily gives me a better reading on fluctuations. I tend to fluctuate 2-3 pounds almost every day (yes same scale, same clothes, same time of day) and if I only weighed myself once a week I'd never know that this is normal for me.

If that is not the case it is more likely that you are underestimating the calories you are burning. Try adding just an additional 100 calories per day into your diet, it's not that hard to add 100 in--a teaspoon of oil or butter, a slice of cheese, or an ounce of nuts will get you just under or over that.
    Good luck and I am envious of your problem :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Because eating 2400-2600 calories in the kinds of foods I ENJOY eating is difficult and rather disgusting quantity wise, and causes bloat and sickness, And I don't want to do a mass bulk at this time, I want a slower bulk because I struggled with that amount of food last time.

Not all of us take pleasure in vast amounts of food.

I HAVE maintained on lower than 2000, my question was why am I losing on it now?

You may be losing water weight. Have you changed your routine or taken a break recently? There are tons of variables that affect weight loss. Now, like geekyjock said, just up your calories a little at a time. Also, try to add more nuts or even eating peanut butter out of the jar. I honestly don't know what a lot of that stuff is from your diary since you live in another company.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks guys..I'm just frustrated.

Ok, I will get back into the habit of coconut oil in my shakes for sure....Nuts I do eat, could try adding more seeds.

I don't know whats changed in action, but its possible that its nervous tension...I did have a break from lifting too...so yeah, I realize there are a thousand reasons why...
    Ah, I think I'm the only person who makes a shake and thinks "what only 400 calories??"

Sorry guys, I appreciate the advice...I guess if you turn the coin and imagine you are doing everything you think you are supposed to be doing yet you keep gaining lbs, you will sense the frustration!!

Going to go chug the olive oil now!
    :heart:
  • JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As Bratleen suggested you could consider weighing every day.
    It's important not to over-react to daily changes which can be quite marked and down to water or whatever.
    If it becomes a trend it's time to react.

I think weighing weekly can similarly throw up a one off high value which can easily be significantly reversed the following week, especially when we are dealing with changes of one pound a time.
    If another week goes by the weight can really have disappeared and getting it back on can be a struggle for some of us when each pound is hard earned.

I daily graph my 7 day average weight and react accordingly if a trend appears.
    I have a target weight and also graph the deviation from that target on a daily basis.
    Any trend soon becomes apparent.

Speaking entirely out of ignorance, is it perhaps a possibility to concentrate on keeping your weight up and adjust exercise to suit.
    If the weight starts to drop, postpone or reduce further exercise until the weight comes back.
    The biggest issue no doubt is not letting the cal intake drop significantly at any time if at all possible, no matter how well things seem to be going.
    Pure guesswork but I share your pain with piling in the food.