My Stupid Question of the Day: Diet Coke or Orange Juice?

Options
13»

Replies

• FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Simple stay clear of diet drinks that contain Aspertame, if you value yor body. Do some reasearch on Aspertame. I used to ache all the time, get headaches and several other issues. I stopped having anything with Aspertame in and within a week a majority of the ailments had gone and after a couple of months all have gone.

My partner just recently stopped drinking diet drinks. It scared me how much he drank because he never and i mean NEVER drank any water at all. He started to balance it out with the odd bottle and now he's drinking it constantly. The other week he had one diet orange drink and the reaction was unreal, headache, sick, dizzy, knocked him out. People get used to them in their system but honestly doing without it makes a huge change. Not that he had major issues but my son did mention that before giving up the pop he had dark rings around his eyes and even i can see the difference in his skin now. Each to their own though and if it's ok with you thats different but i see a complete change in him now and even he said he's reluctant to try pop after the last reaction he had. I'd advise anyone to try upping the water for a week and have one day without pop by the end of it and see how it feels.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Fin x
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If it's one meal out, on one day and your diet is otherwise balanced and healthy I don't suppose it matters.
    Personally I'd go for the diet coke because I don't like fruit juices & I would always go for the least calories/sugar where possible. (I don't drink it often, only when I eat out, so the aspartame issue isn't a worry to me.)
  • cwmw
    cwmw Posts: 30
    Options
    Orange juice is good, in moderation, maybe one glass a day is enough
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about water. I drink HEAPS during the day so when I go out I want something different. I would personally go the diet coke as I am not so concerned about the fake sugar (we are all going to die of something eventually, right?). Juice is fine but I usually have my juice for breakfast time so if you are going out for breakfast go the juice.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Water.

But if you have to choose I say orange juice, at least it has some nutrients. Unless it isn't fresh and has added sugar, in this case, go fot good old H2O.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I get unsweetened iced tea with lemon or diet ginger ale
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would always choose juice over carbonated drinks anyday... Less chemicals.

In saying that, only if they offer fresh squeezed. If they do not... I am quite happy with water with fresh lemon :P
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    i would go with whichever you are wanting more. i still drink 2-3 cans of mt dew a day and its not hurting me with my goals. nothing wrong with treating yourself every now and then. but then i would also get a glass of water

How the heck are you drinking that much and staying under your calorie goal? I pretty much had to give it up to stay under my calorie goals!
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    neither!!
  • vbutlerb
    vbutlerb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with this statement. Unless you juice your own oranges oj really has nothing in co.mmon with nutrition
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    neither... with orange juice it's filled with so much sugar its not even funny.. right after your hungry..your getting three times the sugar you would if you were to just to eat a fruit.. and with a diet drink it has the same about of sugar in it not to mention the carbonation it has that makes you hungry right after because it makes your stomach stretch out almost like a balloon.. so your best bet would be water... it will make you feel full.. and its healthy for you (sorry for the sp)

Wow, I don't know where to start, but I'll try anyway.
    (1) Diet soda does *not* have sugar in it. At. All. Diet soda has artificial sweeteners in it, which some people argue are terrible for you, but there is evidence that in moderation they're probably not the worst thing ever. Either way, they are distinct from sugar.
    (2) I would love to see some evidence that carbonation increases hunger by *any* mechanism, let alone by stretching your stomach out like a balloon.
    (3) While some people swear by water as "making you feel full" the evidence for this is at best mixed. Yes, it provides volume in your stomach, but that doesn't mean it makes you feel satisfied, there is more to satiety than a full stomach.
    (4) I'd also like to point out the logical issue, in which the commentor argues that carbonation stretching out your stomach will make you hungry, but water doing something similar will make you feel full.

Who cares. It's semantics. No one can argue that fact that diet coke is gross.
    There's a big difference between semantics and misinformation. Diet coke categorically does not have the same amount of sugar in it as fruit juice. That's ridiculous. Also, "gross" is a matter of personal taste.

While orange juice has more nutrients, if I was faced with having to choose between the two, I'd get a diet coke. I find pure orange juice very sweet and prefer to drink it watered down somewhat. If I had to make the choice on a daily basis, some days I'd probably get the juice. Having said all that, unless there's alcohol in the coke, I'd probably rather just drink water.
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Why do people ask...."Why is water not an option?" It's ALWAYS an option, variety is the spice of life however...he never asked which was better, Diet, Orange, or Water. If you take a test the answer between A,B,C,D isn't E....
    lol :D
  • tmattoneill
    tmattoneill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid you're just wrong.
  • tmattoneill
    tmattoneill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1 glass of Orange Juice has 26g of carbohydrates, 21g of which is sugar. Drinking 21g of sugar is simply not healthy. It is arguably less healthy than drinking a diet coke, which has zero sugar.
    Additionally the diet coke (assuming it's not caffeine free) has caffeine, which is very nearly a miracle compound. Some of its benefits include:
    Regular coffee drinkers were 80 percent less likely to develop Parkinson's disease.
    Two cups a day reduced subjects' risk for colon cancer by 20 percent.
    Two cups a day caused an 80 percent drop in the odds of developing cirrhosis.
    Two cups a day cut the risk of developing gallstones in half
    The insane amounts of sugar concentrated in a glass of orange juice are not offset by the Vitamin C you get from it -- the only real nutritional thing in there. There's only .5g of fiber in a glass and that's negligible.