how many lbs per pants size?

Options

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I weigh more than when I "really" started on MFP but I'm 3 pant sizes down from what I started. There's no direct correlation between pounds lost and sizes or I'd still be in the same clothes I started.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    At my heaviest I was a tight size 26 (330lbs) I have lost 90lbs (240) and I am a size 16-18 depending on the branding etc. So thats 90 pounds and 10 pants sizes (ish) so I am looking at 9lbs per dress size.
  • Mamasota
    Options
    I'm just wondering how many pounds "generally" equal a pants size or dress size down? Obviously it depends on the cut, but I'm feel frustrated that I'm getting down in my jeans, but not my dress pants. I hate being in between sizes like this because if feels like nothing flatters me.

I recently finished copying size charts at Kmart and Target, just because I was bored at work and curious as you are. Those two stores differ slightly, since they carry different brand names, but it is clear that the larger the size, the longer it takes to slim down to the next size. The smaller sizes were only about two inches apart, waistline-wise. But the larger sizes were as much as 6 inches apart in the waistline to go to the next size.

So, I was actually wearing a tight-fitting 24W and should have been in a 26W. It took me 30 pounds and 7 inches to where I can *just now* fit in my 22W jeans. However, they are still tight, so I need another inch lost before I can really wear them comfortable.

I strongly urge you to take your measurements! That will be a much better indicator of sizes. And most stores have sizing charts on their websites for the brands they carry. That way, you can see how many inches you need to burn. Basically, find the name brand of slacks and then the size, then find the link that says "size chart" and it will tell you.

Excellent post with great advice! I am at 16 lbs down and I'm close to changing sizes. It will always vary with the cut and the person. I put on weight all over but my sister is bottom heavy. We started this journey wearing the same size pants but she changed sizes after only 12 lbs.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been a size 14 since i weighed 175. I am 5 foot 6. My thighs and but never seen to go anywhere. :-( I'm shooting for being a size 10 or 8 at my goal weight 140
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I also think it depends how tall you are. I'm only 5'4" and am lifting weights, so I see a drop about every 8 lbs or so.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    size charts are based on measurements not pounds, so it's different for each person.
    I would say on average it's 10-12 lbs. but depends really where you carry you weight.

Here's a stadard size chart I found which provides both measurments and weight for an avg. women.

Catalog misses' sizes: 5'5"-5'6" (165–168 cm) tall, average bust, average back
    Dimension/size
    4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Est. height 5'4" (162.5 cm) 5'4" (162.5 cm) 5'4.5" (164 cm) 5'5" (165 cm) 5'4" (162.5 cm) 5'6.5" (169 cm) 5'6" (168 cm) 5'6" (168 cm) 5'6.5" (169 cm)
    Est. weight lb (kg) 115 (52) 125 (57) 135 (61) 145 (66) 155 (70) 165 (75) 175 (79) 180 (81.5) 195 (88.5)
    Bust 34 35 36 37 38.5 40 41.5 43 44.5
    Waist 25 26 27 28 29.5 31 32.5 34 35.5
    Hip 35.5 36.5 37.5 38.5 40 41.5 43 44.5 46
  • StartingOver12
    Options
    I think this really depends on many factors. When I was thinner, I could drop 10 lbs and be down a size. Now being heavier however, it wasn't until I hit 30 lbs that I went down a size.
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When it comes to sizing charts, I personally can't buy based off that. According to most stores I should be wearing a 26-28 because my waist is 49in. I have never worn that size, that largest I have worn is a 22-24. I am 236 and 5'4". Strange.
  • carmelgrace
    carmelgrace Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5"5 and its about 7 pounds per pant size - now my twin sister is 5"9 and for her its 10 pounds per pant size. Hope this information is helpful!:flowerforyou:
  • gallerygirl21
    gallerygirl21 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a little different when you're tall. I'm 6ft, and it's about 20lbs.

That sounds about right. I am six foot too. Lost 14lbs and I am in between sizes. My current size is too loose, next size too tight. For shorter people it is probably less.

I am 5'11'', so I guess I can see what you are talking about.

Great advice from everyone. I find it really interesting that it sounds like more weight is needed to go down with larger sizes. It figures!
  • mlocket777
    Options
    Girl I completel understand the big *kitten* issue, Same thing here!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me it varied a lot during the whole process. I've gone from a size 12 to a 4, losing roughly 25-30lbs - but I dropped from a 6 to a 4 without any change on the scale, it was just inches lost. A lot of it really depends on how your body is changing and where the fat is coming off.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Pant sizes for women are entirely arbitrary and have nothing to do with body weight or measurements.
  • carmenspeer3
    Options
    Hi, I think it depends where you are losing weight from. I don't really weigh myself, but I would guess I have lost 20-30 pounds in the last 8 months. I was 190 pounds; my goal weight is around 135-140. I don't weigh myself because I hate obsessing about pounds. I'd rather go by how I look. In any case, although I am only 5'4 135-140 is my goal weight because I am very muscular (I have been biking and swimming my whole life and have a naturally muscular build). I have been biking every day, running sometimes, swimming on the weekends, and eating mainly fruits and vegetables. I don't count calories; I am just trying to be reasonable. (I was depressed and eating too much/drinking too much alcohol before and gained 60 pounds in a year). I have dropped from a size 17-18 to a size 10-11. At 135-140 pounds I should be about a size 6 (again, it's the weight of my legs, which are quite muscular). That is a lot of pants sizes for a relatively small amount of weight loss. I don't tend to accumulate too much fat in my legs or arms; when I gain weight it goes straight to my belly and back and that is also the first area in which I lose weight too. Before I couldn't fit size ten pants because they wouldn't close around my stomach (not because of my legs or hips). In fact size 16 was just a little tight and I was wearing an 18 to be comfortable. Now my size 12 jeans are too big for me.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ti depends on how much you have to lose. in the plus sizes i found about 18-20 pounds per size. as you get smaller in sizes i think its less pounds until you hit the next size down. I've lost 33 pounds and gone from a 18/20 to a 16. some 16s are big but the non-plus 14/16's are still too small for me
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would do pretty much anything at this point to go down a size. I want new clothes!!! :sad: Not a single size down yet here - not even close.
  • apparentmagnitudes
    Options
    For me it's about 12-15 pounds per pant size but I carry my weight in my bum and hips.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It took 25 before I went down the first pant size but now I am down 54 and went from 18 to 12
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This is going to depend entirely on what percentage of the pounds you lose is fat versus lean mass. I lost 2 pants sizes with 30# doing cardio and low calories, but I have lost another pants size with only about 5# heavy lifting and eating at maintenance calories.

Agree with this...

The first 25 was totally diet related...went from a 16 to a 10-12

The next 25 was diet and lifting...went from a 10-12 to a 5/6
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I personaly think it depends on the person and how they carry their weight + where the weight comes off. I lost 34 pounds, and I am down from an 18 to a 14 pants and down from an in-between 2x and XL shirts to a L.