I almost messed up today

Options
...almost. I'm nearly 2 weeks into this, and I've been obese all of my life. I've been making changes, and today I bought a lot of foods that I wouldn't normally eat....onto the story...

I just got back from the grocery store. One of my biggest weaknesses is tacos. I can eat 12 of them at once (over 3000 calories!), but I also feel miserable after eating them. I can't resist them and if I buy them, I will eat all 12. I went around the store putting healthy foods in my shopping cart: fresh fruits, canned fruits packed in water, multi grain waffles, sugar free syrup, heart healthy oj, egg beaters, boneless skinless chicken breasts...and ingredients to make tacos.

I got up to the register and had to wait because there was a guy in front of me with a full cart. I looked into my cart and was happy with the choices that I had made...except the tacos. I debated in my head for a minute and then walked around the store putting those ingredients back. Then I treated myself with some watermelon...which I'm sitting here eating now without any guilt. I didn't leave that grocery store with anything high in calories or cholesterol. I was very proud of myself.

Added bonus: (I live on a college campus) instead of taking the bus to the grocery store, I walked there and back...30 mins of exercise :)

Replies

• msampred2
    Options
    Awesome job! If you know something is a weakness then the best thing to do is avoid it for sure! One of the things that you could try too the next time you do make tacos is to throw a can of black beans in with your meat and skip the cheese. They also have some really low calorie taco shells that you can get too. (cant think of the brand name right now, but when I think of it I will let you know) I have found that when I put the black beans in with my meat that they become more filling and I too have in the past been able to sit down and eat a butt load of tacos too...now I make sure I add the black beans, skip the cheese (although sometimes I will add the low fat cheese) and pile it full of lettuce and tomatoes...believe it or not I can now eat 2 tacos and actually be full! ; ) Good choices though! You rock! Keep up the good work!
  • SlimSlow15
    SlimSlow15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! If you know something is a weakness then the best thing to do is avoid it for sure! One of the things that you could try too the next time you do make tacos is to throw a can of black beans in with your meat and skip the cheese. They also have some really low calorie taco shells that you can get too. (cant think of the brand name right now, but when I think of it I will let you know) I have found that when I put the black beans in with my meat that they become more filling and I too have in the past been able to sit down and eat a butt load of tacos too...now I make sure I add the black beans, skip the cheese (although sometimes I will add the low fat cheese) and pile it full of lettuce and tomatoes...believe it or not I can now eat 2 tacos and actually be full! ; ) Good choices though! You rock! Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much. I don't think I'll be making them at all as long as I can resist buying them. They're just too tempting to me since they're probably in my top 3 favorite foods. Maybe one day I'll be able to eat 2 tacos and be content with that, but right now I know that just would not work out.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Way to go so proud of you Keep it up
  • NCSUdietitian
    NCSUdietitian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow -- thanks for sharing that story! You should be so proud of yourself!! That takes a ton of willpower, which is not always easy. Keep up the good work. I look forward to your next appointment with me.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm the same with chocolate. Sometimes I buy because I think I'll be ok but I've proven it many times I can't be trusted. Good on you.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Small victories can and do add up! Excellent willpower!