Need help,getting DISCOURAGED

Options
I have been on here since August.I have changed my eating habits,eating more than I was eating before due to MFP suggestions and being told I was not eating enough to burn.Funny though,I am abt.75-80lbs.overweight.I have been eating alot of protein,almost always go over on this.Eating turkey,fish,chicken,healthy grains like brown rice,quinoa,sweet potatoe every now and then.Cut out lactose,eating my fats in MUFAS.Please view my diet and give me some clue of what I am doing wrong.I have been going to the gym,using wts and cardio.It took me 1 mth to lose 4 lbs,weighed myself yesterday and had gained back. I should tell you I have PCOS which creates an insulin resistence,so I have always had to work harder at losing wt,I cut out fruits because my doctor told me still processes as sugar and could mess up my insulin levels.Even though it's hard to lose,I have not had this much trouble,I don't know if it's because I turned 40 and my metabolism is slower.Please help me,I am getting so discouraged,rather depressed.MFP set my calories at 1470,was getting close to that,only went over once on anniversary.When I exercise,they add almost 1500 more calories,finding it hard to reach that goal,usually have 300-600 more calories left.I feel I am eating frequently,with the right foods,maybe I am wrong,or need to combine my foods differntly.Anyone able to view my diary and give me some help? I would truly appreciate any feedback.Thanks

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people overestimate the calories they burn, leading to trouble with the whole "exercise calories" thing. I would eat all of the calories MFP told me to (in your case, the 1470 calories) then eat only some exercise calories back. What kind of exercise are you doing to give you these huge burns? To burn 1500 calories via exercise in one day is enormous. I have a feeling you are either A. an elite athlete or B. seriously overestimating what you are burning.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No,I am not a huge athelete. I do 50 min.of walk/run at intervals,10 min.on stepper,20-30 minutes on wts.Every other day I add JM30DS 20 min interval workouts.Started taking a yoga/pilates class that is done in a sauna room,burns 1000 cal an hour.I don't estimate the other exercises,MFP tells me what I burned when I enter it,maybe they are wrong.So you say I should just eat a little bit over my 1470? Sounds good ,I will try that.I appreciate your feedback.Can you view my food diary and tell me if I am combining the wrong foods?I truly appreciate your feedback.Wish you luck on your wtloss goals.AWESOME JOB ON YOUR WT>LOSS!!:)
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry what MFP says too much i'm usually 800 down on calories if i exercise, and im eating around 1300 a day, it complains i dont eat enough but im always full. if your really worried see your gp or a dietician, it helped me. plus if you exercise loads you'll put on muscle which can put weight on as well
  • jensfitpal2012
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Two points to make.

One, to quote YOU in your profile: "This time will be different, I'm not looking at numbers,I am going by how I feel,and I do feel good when I am exercising and eating healthy." So stop looking at the numbers!

Two, muscle is more dense than fat. The same volumn weighs much more. So the scale is NOT a good indicator of success. Measure your waist! Go by that! If you don't believe me, go get a pound of butter and a pound of meat and compare their sizes!
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    Seconding muscle density. You'll probably find that 4lbs was muscle gained from your exercise - which, by the way, I wish I was half as dedicated to as you :) More muscle is good because it's leaner and the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is - so keep at it!!

Plus it's obviously a lot harder to lose pounds when you factor in PCOS. Personally, I just eat my recommended calories for the day, plus a tiny bit more if I've exercised, and don't beat myself up if I'm not seeing immediate results.

Chin up, lass, you'll be fine :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry what MFP says too much i'm usually 800 down on calories if i exercise, and im eating around 1300 a day, it complains i dont eat enough but im always full. if your really worried see your gp or a dietician, it helped me. plus if you exercise loads you'll put on muscle which can put weight on as well
    Never use satiety as measurement of how much you should eat as leptin concentration levels decline in as little as 24 hours and can drop substantially (44+-3%) over 6 months of calorie restriction - this depression in leptin is seen as a major determinant in metabolic adaptation (drop in energy expenditure). Eat by discipline and energy needs, not by hunger.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/96/9/E1512.full?sid=c2c187ec-5445-48ad-9291-be95019f6a68
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A 1500 calorie burn for one day sounds huge. Maybe purchase a heart rate monitor so you have more accurate data to work with.
  • jensfitpal2012
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement. I am going to keep it around the 1470 range and a little over when I exercise,not going to listen to the extra I gained from working out. Thanks for the reminder,this time will be different,it will be,just having a down moment,BUT I ALWYAS GET BACK UP>>>Thanks for making it easier.YOU ALL ARE GREAT MOTIVATORS> ANy suggestions on how to enter own calories burned,because I have noticed what the treadmill/stepper say I burned is different than what MFP says I burned.Can we add our own calories burned somehow?
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i just inboxed you! your body works differently because of the pcos. research it alot! if your doctor does not treat lots of women with pcos, he/she may not be giving you the best advice. i have lowered my carb intake to 100 a day. no grains. fruits and veggies only and the scale is moving!
  • jensfitpal2012
    Options
    Great Sarah,glad you are seeing posiitve results.Keep up the great work.Thanks for your advice,I will look into it.Have a great day!!:)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is four pounds in a month. Are you doing anything wrong?

I think Dorie from Finding Nemo should be all of our mascot

Just keep swimming . . . just keep swimming . . . just keep swimming swimming swimming .. .
  • jensfitpal2012
    Options
    Thanks nxd,I will keep on swimming,and walking,and running and yoga pilates ING,not to mention lifting those weights.You keep on doing the same,we will reach our goals,one day at a time....