Beans and Lentils - How do I eat them?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    Beans and lentils are easy!

For lentils I usually add garlic and onion to the pan first and then add broth and plenty of spices and a hit of lemon juice at the end.

It's perfect with fish. Beans I like adding to rice with a little coriander
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to learn to use your spices. A traditional Indian style lentil dish (Masoor Dal if you're googling recipes) would use turmeric, cumin, onion, ginger, coriander, red chili powder, and curry powder or leaves. You can make lentils a thousand different ways if you have a selection of good veggies to have with it, and a spice cupboard that's thorough enough. It really does make a difference, and after a while using spices, you'll start to get a knack for how to flavor a dish to make it taste like anything you want that day. Another personal favorite of mine is to use thyme, sage, marjoram, onion, and garlic, and to cook the lentils in broth instead of water. It comes out tasting like stuffing! Good luck with the legumes.

this is yum! low in calories, and easy to prepare
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bean and veggie chilli

1 onion, chopped
    1 can tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 bell pepper (I like red or yellow), sliced
    8 mushrooms, chopped
    1 can sweetcorn
    2 cans beans you like (black eyed peas? black beans? butter beans? kidney beans?). Rinse them well.
    1 T Paprika
    1 t Cayenne pepper

Fry the onion in 1 tablespoon of oil until they're a little bit see-through. Add the garlic. A couple minutes later, add to the tomatoes. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes, until the tomatoes are thickening up a bit. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, sweetcorn, beans, paprika and cayenne pepper. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes.

Serve over quinoa, brown rice, couscous, mashed potato...
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    PATTYS PATTYS PATTYS PATTYS

or vegetarian mexican chilli (all beans!!)
    or baked beans for breakfast
    or lentil soup
    or 4 bean mix bean salad - soooo easy/yum to make - good to keep stored in the fridge, and then just take out what you want and dress it when you're ready to eat
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Black Bean, Lentil, and Brown Rice Burrito Fillin'
    Submitted by: FAELFE

Introduction
    Awesome meat-free, protein and fiber packed filling for tacos or burritos. Can also be eaten alone with a little fat free sour cream and cheese on top. Adapted from ANEWONE's lentils and rice recipe.
    Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 40
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients

3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
    3/4 cup dry pink lentils
    3/4 cup dry brown rice
    1/2 yellow onion, chopped
    3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 tbsp taco seasoning

Directions
    Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Lower heat and let simmer about forty minutes, or until rice is cooked through.

Makes six approximately 1 cup servings.

Number of Servings: 6
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories: 133
    Fat: 1.2g
    Sodium: 930 (can be reduced by using a salt free blend of spices instead of the taco seasoning packet)
    Carbs: 24.7
    Fiber: 5g
    Protein: 6.2g

I use just water instead of the stock. And I usually have to add more liquid as it cooks. But this works great as a taco filling, or just to eat. I also skip putting the onions and the salsa in, opting for fresh tomatoes when I sit down to eat. I usually top with cheese and skip the tortilla. Leftovers are also good, just add a tiny bit of water when microwaving if it's gotten a little dry. This is by far my favorite lentil recipe.

I'm making beef tacos tonight, and will be adding beans in with the meat, to boost it a little and make it last longer.

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=39_meatfree_recipes_for_world_vegetarian_day
    This link is for 39 meatless recipes. I'm sure you'll find some good ones using lentils, beans, or both.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do a lentil cottage pie. I eat my beans in casseroles, chilli and tacos. I also eat mexican beans in wraps. I eat four bean mix just with a balsalmic dressing, beans in toasted sandwiches.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to learn to use your spices. A traditional Indian style lentil dish (Masoor Dal if you're googling recipes) would use turmeric, cumin, onion, ginger, coriander, red chili powder, and curry powder or leaves. You can make lentils a thousand different ways if you have a selection of good veggies to have with it, and a spice cupboard that's thorough enough. It really does make a difference, and after a while using spices, you'll start to get a knack for how to flavor a dish to make it taste like anything you want that day. Another personal favorite of mine is to use thyme, sage, marjoram, onion, and garlic, and to cook the lentils in broth instead of water. It comes out tasting like stuffing! Good luck with the legumes.

Sounds excellent!