Where do you live? & Is anyone there hiring?

Muscles_Curves
Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
I'm in desperate need of a full time job. I have a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and I'm currently working on my Masters in Psychology. I was also a preschool teacher for 3 years and I have about 3 years of clerical experience. After submitting over 350 applications in one year with no calls for interviews, I'm growing desperate. Please help! I'm also willing to relocate.

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I'm in desperate need of a full time job. I have a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and I'm currently working on my Masters in Psychology. I was also a preschool teacher for 3 years and I have about 3 years of clerical experience. After submitting over 350 applications in one year with no calls for interviews, I'm growing desperate. Please help! I'm also willing to relocate.

Nothing in Houston?
  • Muscles_Curves

Nothing in Houston?

I've tried several places there.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I feel your pain... it's tough here in NYC.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member

Nothing in Houston?

I've tried several places there.

I was gonna say.. .my cousins in Houston have had no problems finding jobs in finance, entertainment (my cousin runs the NBC early morning/noon news) and fitness.

Is Harris County corrections hiring at all? They're one of the biggest in the country. You'd think they'd be hiring all the time.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    No. We have the highest unemployment in the nation. Cheers...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Check out the Florida state People First website. It lists all state jobs available.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    The oil boom in North Dakota is happening.
    Not much in the way of housing since everyone has went there.
    More people more crime....
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Welcome to the new normal in the United States.

I know that may sound like a callous thing to say, but unemployment is far too high. Also, quality of jobs is a concern. Right now, one half of recent college graduates (last 5 years or so) are unemployed or underemployed. It's not you. Being a barista at Starbucks is a fairly conventional path for a recent college grad.

Texas is better off than a lot of the country, but conditions here could improve.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I also work for a water well company during a drought, but we've nearly doubled our employees in the last 3 years.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    I know you are asking about who is hiring elsewhere, but after that volume of applications and maybe a significant number of interviews...I would ask myself several questions:

1) Do I need to tweak my resume and make it stronger...is my experience and my skillset shining through in written form?
    2) Am I aiming too high or too low for the jobs/careers I am applying for?
    3) Am I following up on these applications? Am I being persistent? Some employers value a go-getter.

Lastly, you have a desirable education within the law enforcement community and are well on your way to being in shape. I would make my weight loss my job. Drop those 15-20 lbs within 30-45 days (you can do it!) and you'll be within most agency's standards..they would scoop you up in a heart beat.

I hope this last comment isn't taken the wrong way...I meant what I wrote in a most sincere way.
  • Muscles_Curves
    I know you are asking about who is hiring elsewhere, but after that volume of applications and maybe a significant number of interviews...I would ask myself several questions:

1) Do I need to tweak my resume and make it stronger...is my experience and my skillset shining through in written form?
    2) Am I aiming too high or too low for the jobs/careers I am applying for?
    3) Am I following up on these applications? Am I being persistent? Some employers value a go-getter.

Lastly, you have a desirable education within the law enforcement community and are well on your way to being in shape. I would make my weight loss my job. Drop those 15-20 lbs within 30-45 days (you can do it!) and you'll be within most agency's standards..they would scoop you up in a heart beat.

I hope this last comment isn't taken the wrong way...I meant what I wrote in a most sincere way.

I totally understand what you meant. I am working on my resume/applications to make it stronger. Thanks.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Try Montana, it is huge, rural and if you are willing to work many places are looking for people who actually show up. Stay out of Browning but other than that it is a nice state. I have friends with same issues in Washington state and back east. Good luck to you. You were a teacher have you looked into syllvan learning centers?

PS try I think it is USAJOBS.gov if that isn't it then it is USAjobs.com they have postings all over the country. Mostly used I believe by vets but there are some jobs on there that all your degrees would put you in for and they are government jobs. Also check with your local corrections agencies and see if they need something in any of your degree fields. High stress enviroment means great turn over BUT it is a job.
  • I live in Southeastern Montana. We have tons of jobs here, but NO places to live.
  • well im in elliot lake ontario canada .... though we just lost a ton of job options you may have luck looking in this area. if all else fails the cost of living is pretty low here!
  • MRSCHAZZY
    MRSCHAZZY Posts: 42 Member
    virginia
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member

ALASKA IS DESPERATE lol but seriously people are dieing for help problem is no one wants to live in this climate and cost of living is super high
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Jobs in Colorado
  • I feel your pain! There are no jobs! I moved to Canada a few years back because (1) school was affordable, and (2) there are jobs here. Heartbreaking to have to leave one's country to find work... but there are jobs in Ontario and NONE in my hometown of Buffalo (yeah, don't look there). I want to cry when I talk to people back in the States; most of my friends from high school are working for minimum wage while their degrees go to waste. Outrageous.

Best of luck! I hope you find something soon! If you are at all interested in finding more about my experiences w/ "jumping ship," so to speak, send me a message :)