Unsolicited advice

Options
Does anyone get unsolicited advice NOW that you've lost or been losing weight? I get it often, especially from out of shape people! I was getting coffee today and put in some pumpkin spice creamer (30 calories) and this lady at work said "Thats how you start back to getting fat!" ummmm she is about 4'9" and about 4'9" wide! I held my tongue (which is hard for me) but SERIOUSLY??

Why am I getting all this advice now that I have lost weight? The advice usually starts with "You've lost a lot of weight BUT you know what you NEED to do now...........(insert crazy nonsensicle advice here)" Where were these "experts" when I was struggling with my weight?

Replies

• monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get comments like that. The worst was when I donated all of my old clothes. I heard from someone at work, that maybe I shouldn't have done that.

I was told that I look too skinny and that I need to bulk up in the shoulders.

What is weird, is that I am in the best shape of my life. So, whatever.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    say thanks, move on and enjoy your day
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, that has happened to me a couple of times, and I like it. I love being able to tell people that I don't have to sacrifice yummy food just to lose weight and that the secret is understanding nutrition and how your body uses food. That usually shuts them up, and they walk away because they don't want to hear a lecture on nutrition! :laugh:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am glad I never got into that situation.

But everyone is an expert at medicine and has some cosmic reason why I have the types of allergies that I do.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My perpetually overweight mom likes to harp on me not to eat at night. I eat whenever I want to and I have had no problem losing weight. I don't think she can quite get that "eating at night" is not "night-eating" and it's not a bing; my fiance and I just keep something of a late schedule.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Actually, that has happened to me a couple of times, and I like it. I love being able to tell people that I don't have to sacrifice yummy food just to lose weight and that the secret is understanding nutrition and how your body uses food. That usually shuts them up, and they walk away because they don't want to hear a lecture on nutrition! :laugh:

Great idea, I will this one. Thanks
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Advice from a person that is obviously not just obese but morbidly obese just cracks me up. I commented at work on night that I was having a hard time consuming quality calories on my night shifts. Here comes advice from a woman who need to consider taking her own advice. She suggested a protein drink from a particular company as a possible solution. Granted I did look into said drink and now have it in the fridge, but all I could think at the time was why on earth is she drinking protein drinks?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I get advice from everyone telling me what i need to do. As if I was not the one who lost 50lbs all on my own!
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I'm only just beginning, so no one has really noticed that I'm losing weight yet... But I haven't really told anyone for this reason in particular. Aside from my closest family members and my MFP cheerleading squad, no one knows. When people start to notice (or you let it slip) that you're getting healthy, suddenly everyone starts crawling out of the woodwork with their M.D. from Google University in hand, trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't do with your body. I've even found MFP-ers are terrible about this. (Myself included on occasion). There are billions of people in the world. Don't let one ruin your day.

Keep doin' what you're doin! Clearly it's working!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I get diet advice from over weight people and weight lifting advice from underweight people.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah people start to tell me no carbs and no sugary drinks (thank you, I know). I just keep telling them what I'm doing, and that it's working and it's nothing fancy except cutting calories and exercising!

I also hate when people tell me that I don't need to lose one more pound. That's the worst for me...I KNOW they are trying to be nice, but don't tell me I don't need to lose anymore when I absolutely do.

I said to a friend something about frozen yogurt was at least healther than ice cream (NOT that it's HEALTHY, but it's certainly lower calories than regular ice cream)....and she was like 'not always, check the labels!' That irritated me because ALL I DO is check labels. It just kind of felt like she was saying "you are overweight, you don't know any better".
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Absolutely, but since I know my progress and what's worked for me, I'll keep at it.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I'll quote a great great advice I was given by a very smart man: "Assume everyone else is an idiot".

Fall back to that, and smile, and don't take it personally.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just tell big mouthed people that now that I am in better shape, my wife and I have more frequent and better sex. Then I offer to show them my new piercings.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    say thanks, move on and enjoy your day

I love that response.

After I lost the first 30 lbs, everyone suddenly knew what was best for me. They scrutinze everything I eat and know exactly what workouts I should be doing. I think from now on, I'm going to smile, thank them, and keep it moving.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I tend to find that people who are generally unhappy with their lives will aim at us even if we are kicking *kitten* at what we're doing. I have a friend (not a good one) of mine who literally says stuff like "you go out to eat ALL THE TIME I don't know how you're losing weight" (Well that's her perception of my life) and has also told me stuff like "you're such a workout-aholic." and "do you even eat anything or are you starving yourself". The problem is shes a fat b**ch who is miserable in her life and has recently gained 15 pounds. Haha I just think of it as Karma ;) She needs to Quit judging my damn lifestyle and take a look in the mirror. But they won't. They feed off of trying to make awesome people like us miserable

You rock and ENJOY THAT COFFEE! :)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think some people need to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Others might really be trying in their own misguided way, to support and help.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    IKR, I mostly get, don't lose anymore, you wll blow away. I am dead in the middle of what is healthy for my height & age, hardly scrawny. Everybody is an expert. "MD from Google University" I love that.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The "no it all's " are the ppl that are most likely to be not doing anything. They usually wish that they are getting the results you are but dont and want to bring you down and make you feel as though your not doing as well as you are. Remember that old saying " those who can DO, do.... those who CANT, teach " lmao.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'll quote a great great advice I was given by a very smart man: "Assume everyone else is an idiot".

Fall back to that, and smile, and don't take it personally.

Absolutely this!