Strength Training for a wimpy beginner

Options
I want to start lifting weights, and doing other strength training. I'm a ball of flab at the moment. I can MAYBE do 5 modified push ups.

I've been reading how good heavy lifting can be for women, and I want to get in on it!

What are some tips? How heavy should I lift, how many reps/sets, and what moves would be suggested? I have 5lb weights at home but I'm planning on heading out to get another set of dumbbells soon.

I could use all of the help I can get! Thanks so much!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting weights, and doing other strength training. I'm a ball of flab at the moment. I can MAYBE do 5 modified push ups.

I've been reading how good heavy lifting can be for women, and I want to get in on it!

What are some tips? How heavy should I lift, how many reps/sets, and what moves would be suggested? I have 5lb weights at home but I'm planning on heading out to get another set of dumbbells soon.

I could use all of the help I can get! Thanks so much!

You should incorporate squats, deadlifts, chin ups/pull ups, overhead press, chest presses, etc into your base work out. Check out this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Has a lot of good info for beginners. Starting out they say that you should do three times a work out with some kind of full body routine..i.e. deadlift, chest press, squat, overhead pres, arm curls ...etc...then once you adjust to that go for a more "advanced" kind of program...feel free to add me if you like...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    For maximum results, check out a program like The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts. A program is a great way for a beginner to be introduced to strength training and learn good form.

These programs are going to require you to use more equipment than a set of dumbbells though. Do you have access to a gym with free weights? You will probably need a bench press, an Olympic bar, a squat rack, and some (increasingly) heavy dumbbells. Keep in mind that "heavy" lifting means heavy for YOU. If you have to start out with the bar (45lbs), that's fine. You add weights slowly. Everyone can work at their own pace - that's the great part of strength training. You're not competing with anyone but yourself, so there is no pressure to bench press 150lbs right off the bat! Just strive to improve upon your own performance.

If you aren't interested in doing free weights, you can always check out a program like P90X or a Jillian Michaels DVD like Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred. But, you won't see the same results with those programs as you would with a heavy lifting program.
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    They use to say; if you can't lift it 8 times its too heavy. If you can lift it more than 12 times, its too light. I know people who start off with just the bar.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for a brand new beginner, the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels is more than enough. You can get it at Wal Mart or Target for like $8.00. When you can get through that, you will be ready to move on.

All these folks here who say "lift heavy" is the only way to go seem to forget they were once new also.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • melb2003
    Options
    bump...
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do the 30 day shred!!! omg I've never had muscles before!!!! its all very new to me ... I have arm muscles leg muscles stomach muscles!!! seriously great for a beginner I highly recommend :P
  • bump for reading later.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    1) Stop calling yourself a wimp
    2) See step 1
    3) Look into a strength program and find one that interests you. NRoLFW, 30DS, P90X, Insanity, your body is a gym, StrongLifts, whatever.
    4) Give it an honest attempt for 6 to 8 weeks
    5) Adjust after that time as needed
    6) Profit.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options

YAY thanks! Somehow my dvd went missing and I've been putting off buying another one.
    I agree, start with 30 day shred, it is hard and will get you results
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Find a good book, site, or schedule a session with a trainer. Pick out a couple of exercise each for your

Chest
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Legs.

Use the five-pound weights for now. Work on your form (posture and breathing) before handling anything heavier.
  • MrTypical
    Options
    Try Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe. It's the basic "where to start" bible of lifting heavy.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Don't do 30 DS shred! it's not strenght training it's cardio with weights
    I mean do it if you want cardio, but clearly OP wants to start lifting.
    I reccomend StrongLifts or Starting Strenght
  • Klima
    Klima Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Power 90 Beach Body video is really easy and has good tips for beginners. You can use free weights or a resistance band which works remarkably well. I started off with the beach bodies video for two or three months before going to body pump class at my gym. Its a good combo of activities. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They use to say; if you can't lift it 8 times its too heavy. If you can lift it more than 12 times, its too light. I know people who start off with just the bar.

???, a lot of strength training programs focus on a 5-6 rep range, so it depends. If you program stipulates 5 reps and you can do 7, then that weight is too light.
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try StrongLifts 5x5. I'm almost on week 5 and I'm much stronger than 5 weeks ago. Read up on proper form for each exercise, which I think most of it is on StrongLifts. Good luck!
  • JaziH
    JaziH Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    for a brand new beginner, the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels is more than enough. You can get it at Wal Mart or Target for like $8.00. When you can get through that, you will be ready to move on.

All these folks here who say "lift heavy" is the only way to go seem to forget they were once new also.

You could save a few bucks and find the 30 day shred levels 1, 2 and 3 on youtube for free. Thats wheat i did then i hooked my laptop to my TV with a VGA cable and a sound cable. Its just like working out with a dvd but its free, which is always great !
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Don't do 30 DS shred! it's not strenght training it's cardio with weights
    I mean do it if you want cardio, but clearly OP wants to start lifting.
    I reccomend StrongLifts or Starting Strenght

you must not have done 30 DS. It is an excellent STARTING point. you can increase the weights Jillian uses as you progress.

Anyone who says dont do the 30 DS either hasnt actually done it or they have been brainwashed by the "lift heavy " virus that has invaded this site.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    **INSERTING MY OWN QUESTION**

How much cardio is required in 30 Day Shred?

I have a mild heart thing that keeps me from doing much cardio.

will 30DS work if I skip the cardio?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    **INSERTING MY OWN QUESTION**

How much cardio is required in 30 Day Shred?

I have a mild heart thing that keeps me from doing much cardio.

will 30DS work if I skip the cardio?

doubtful. it has alot of cardio,,,it isnt meant to be a weight program...it is a fat burning get in shape program