fish smelling fishy

Options
Hello all! I have always heard that fish shouldn't smell fishy and I love it but have never cooked it. So I bought some individually frozen tilapia fillets and thawed one out to cook and peeee ewwwww it definately smells fishy! Is that normal or should I toss em?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    does it still smell fishy when you wash it off with water? I always do that on fish I've cleaned before cooking it and on those frozen tilapia filets.

I'm thinking you're probably fine and just aren't used to the smell.

Might want to consider frying it if you are concerned though (that's why everything you eat in LA is fried btw...food safety).
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, I washed it off with water, and it was still stinky. I've always just smelled it cooked and maybe that's the reason, but it's definately fishy smelling.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Some fish will definitely smell fishy when they thaw out.. usually the frozen fish packets are good just rinse off with water and cook but when it comes to fish you are buying from a market or something you will want to make sure it doesn't have an extreme smell to it, and its not really slimy.. If its a fresh frozen kind that the grocery store is freezing, then they might of waited until the very last day they could sell it to freeze it.. I agree with the person about frying it if your not sure otherwise you can bake it.