How many times have you relapsed?

I am back on track again, after a 6 month hiatus. I do this all the time, I lose the weight I want, then go right back to my old habits. The hard thing for me is to get my motivation going and not having self control with eating. That and my constant snacking.

Anyway, this is probably my 4th or 5th relapse since getting into serious work out regimen.

What keeps you from relapsing?

Replies

• I have been relapsing since June 2012 and can't seem to get anything done. I do well for a few days and then back to my old ways. I have gained 20 lbs. back of what I had originally lost. This is so frustrating. I need help in a big way.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    I started my journey June 2011...did really well till May 2012..relapsed..but still logged..just ate whatever and didnt exercise..gained 5 pounds..and been back at it since July 2012

Its all about finding something you like doing..for me..it was finding the Zombies, Run! app that got me moving...
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    I've relapsed quite a few times to. I think you have to make up your mind and decide that this is the way you have to live for the rest of your life. You can't change your eating habits or the way you look at food for 1 year only to lose the weight. It has to be something you can do for a life time.

I have many food intolerances and finally decided 2 months ago that I am not going back. First because I can't because it makes me feel like crap and second because I don't want to.

It starts with you making a life changing decision.
  • Life gets in the way of our dieting! Don't worry about a relapse, just start fresh and look forward! Best of luck to you all! Feel free to add me
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    I can't even count how many times I relapsed. It is so hard to stay on track. I'm trying so hard this time to make it a lifestyle change....good luck everyone.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
    Every bloody weekend...:drinker: ...But as i`m on maintenance, it keeps me motivated during the week.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    To paraphrase Mark Twain. If you want to know how to lose weight ask me. I have done it thousands of times.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    I relapse seemingly all the time.
    I always stop myself before I gain back over five pounds, you know?
    The scale is sort of a reality check--
    I ask myself,
    "Do I really want to go back to that?"
    It's hard staying on track,
    but I do think everyday is a new, fresh start.
    :D
    Never dwell on the mistakes, just aim for tomorrow to be much better!~
  • rla331
    rla331 Posts: 27 Member
    I am attempting to get myself back on track right now. I lost 66 pounds between Aug 11 and March 12. Managed to only gain back 10 since then. But I know if I keep on this track, it will all be back before I know it. Starting today, I am making myself at least get back out and walk a few times a week again. I know when I do I feel so much better. Good luck to you!
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    I usually get motivated by on going on vacations. So anytime we are going somewhere I usually start dieting right when I find out and am usually down about 20 lbs by time to go. I haven't had motivation since May and you can tell. I have gained 7 lbs. :( I have relapsed about 20 times seriously in the last 3 years of trying to lose weight. But we can do it! I have another trip coming up, this time to Jamaica, so I want to look good in my swim suit! :D
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    I am on round 5!!! I have lost & gained the same 20 lbs four times! Grrrr...

I get content & satisfied with my success, slack off a couple of weeks and before I know it 1 month cancels out 4 months of work!

I just think you got to keep at it and eventually my "ideal" eating habits become my everyday eating habits.

Good Luck!
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    This is such a constant problem, it seems like. We can do this!!!
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    I don't think there is a person here that lacks motivation. You definitely do not lack motivation. Lack of discipline is what we face when we relapse. I don't think you should punish yourself emotionally. That is counterintuitive. It alters your discipline.

I assume you brush your teeth daily. You have mentally disciplined yourself to do so. If you don't then you deal with bad breath and a gross tasting mouth. Think of eating proper nutritionally balanced foods, exercise and water consumption as a way to keep your body from feeling sluggish and uncomfortable. Sure, old habits die hard. New habits are hard to obtain. Find your balance and you won't relapse. Look at what you were doing before and evaluate it. Obviously it was not sustainable. You are capable of not relapsing.

But to answer your question, I would say I have not relapsed. I made decisions that brought my weight loss to a halt at times but I have made the choice to always be aware. I believe that part of the discipline is what has kept me going for almost two years now. You can do this. Everyone can do this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    This is the first time that I really tried to change my diet, and I plan for the change to be permanent. Right now, I can't see any reason to stop eating healthy.
  • Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Well this is my 2nd relapse and I am having a hard time this go round. But its a new day and even if you didn't do well yesterday its always a perfect time to start over. I cant beat myself up over my small weight gains, I just have to work through them. I know you can do this, that is one of the reasons were all here is to help one another and realize we are not the only ones going through this journey. Have a great day :)
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    I've "relapsed" once since starting last year... I started last summer and got to my goal weight by the holiday season and I couldn't force myself to continue committing to fitness with all the delicious food. I logged some but couldn't commit like I did at first for a bunch of reasons but I'm starting up again because I see I've gained about 15lbs back from my start on MFP.

I agree with HerBravado
    I always stop myself before I gain back over five pounds, you know?
    The scale is sort of a reality check--
    I ask myself,
    "Do I really want to go back to that?"

I looked at the scale and decided not to "ignore it" for another day, another week. Once you can commit again to a cleaner lifestyle the ball seems to just start rolling in terms of habit and focus - I look at what I was able to do so far and just push thinking "in not that much time I can be..."
  • uidb5259
    uidb5259 Posts: 138 Member
    I have been riding the roller coaster for several years now. I am not sure yet how to stay on it as I am just now starting back up from another downturn. I have heard that it must be a life-change and that is what I want. It is just hard to remember when I see a bag of Doritos in my pantry or a 6 pack in the fridge. I just need to remember where I came from and that I never want to be there again!
  • I started my quest in 2006 got half way there by 2008, then major relapse..I gained back nearly 40 lbs of the 95 I had lost an I only just seriously started again..I have kinda half heartedly tried on and off to get back on the bandwagon but never really made it. This year tho, I decided not just to get back on the healthy eating and weighloss wagon, but to completely change my whole life, including moving to a new town early next year, I finally realised that I needed to change everything for it to work, not battle with one thing and constantly let other things undermine that battle!
  • Lots of times.... not letting the relapse last for longer than 1 meal or 1 day is what keeps me on track long term. my weight changes like the seasons of my life do. With fall coming, I also feel a whole new sense of motivation with it.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    I've relapsed several times. This time I vow it to be different (we'll see lol). I think the other times I've dieted I cut things out and restricted myself a lot so it wasn't sustainable. The second I started eating my old favorites a) I couldn't control myself and b) I gained all the weight back.

This time I am trying to incorporate those favorites into my life realizing that I can't eat the EVERY day or every week. But, alas I'm a work in progress and some days are better than others. In losing weight this way I'm taking the pounds off slowly and I'm re-teaching myself about portion sizes.

I also think it's going to be just as important for me to log my food in maintenance rather than just reach my goal and give up watching what I eat. Hopefully this time will stick!! Good luck to everyone :flowerforyou: