How can I improve on my push ups?

Options
Do I continue to do as many as I can and eventually I'll get better or should I build upper strength first? My main objective is to be able to get lower than what I am currently at. These are regular push ups not girlie push ups. Thanks for the help :smile:

Replies

• clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm curious as well
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep doing what you can and always try to go lower. You will get there eventually, as long as you keep pushing yourself to do more than you think you can. When you knock out that first set of REAL push-ups you're gonna feel awesome!

Doing some plank holds and other upper body strength moves in addition to your push-ups will help. Triceps dips, chest press & chest fly, overhead presses and rows are some of my favorites.

Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand.

You say you're doing as many as you can... then you say you want to be able to get lower. I assume you aren't/can't go all the way down? Can you feel a certain muscle giving out which is preventing you from doing a full push-up? Push-ups are primarily about your chest and triceps, but rear delts also play a role, as does your core.

Try elevating your hands/upper body. Do them on the second stair if you can, or on a low chair/bench. Keep the same form, don't use your knees as in "girlie" pushups.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Do I continue to do as many as I can and eventually I'll get better or should I build upper strength first? My main objective is to be able to get lower than what I am currently at. These are regular push ups not girlie push ups. Thanks for the help :smile:

Start out doing as many "low" pushups as you can. It might only be one. Focus all of your energy on getting those first few in perfect form. Then finish your set with what you're doing now. It will probably mean less overall, but the only way to get " full range" and good form pushups is to focus on doing them that way. Not to mention if you're only going halfway down, you're not getting the full benefit anyway, so less is really the same or more.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's a great program for increasing/improving your pushups - http://hundredpushups.com/
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

You say you're doing as many as you can... then you say you want to be able to get lower. I assume you aren't going all the way down?

Try elevating your hands/upper body. Do them on the second stair if you can, or on a low chair/bench. Keep the same form, don't use your knees as in "girlie" pushups.

This is good advice. Better to have proper form than to do a lot of "semi pushups"
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

You say you're doing as many as you can... then you say you want to be able to get lower. I assume you aren't/can't go all the way down? Can you feel a certain muscle giving out which is preventing you from doing a full push-up? Push-ups are primarily about your chest and triceps, but rear delts also play a role, as does your core.

Yes I'm sorry that's what I mean, I can't go all the way down. I do what I can, but there is alot of room for improvement. When I go "down" I dont have enough strength to push myself back up. Would you say that's tricep?
  • nickymaz
    nickymaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that the only way to get good at pushups is to do pushups, doing machines or bench press just doesn’t replicate it. Your triceps and deltoids are major accessory muscles to the pushup so working on them will benefit you too.

I would really stress form over everything. One way to improve your form is to do pushups in front of a mirror so you can see how far down you are able to go. I’ve seen folks who can do a hundred pushups but they aren’t proper pushups.
  • jbucovetsky
    jbucovetsky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would pump out as many as you can. Then go to your knees and continue to your max. That will help increase the depth and qty.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You can try negatives.
    Lower yourself all the way down, but in a very controlled, slow movement.
    Then if you can't push back up, just worm back up, and repeat.
    You can do a few sets of 3 or 5.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options

This. If you can't go all the way down, try elevating your hands. Start with hands on the counter, then a coffee table, etc etc until it's tough to go all the way down, but still possible. Do pushups in that position until you can work yourself lower. Once you can do it without hands elevated, start elevating the feet to increase difficutly. Or put one leg in the air while going down and alternate.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Focus on form first, even if it means only doing a few. I could barely do 2 pushups a month ago, now I'm up to 30 with good form. As a bonus my belly is flatter and firmer, pushups really work that core.
  • karoumee
    Options
    I found this...it might help :)

http://hundredpushups.com/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    break out your pushups into sets of various heights.

maybe do a set at whatever your normal height is... then a set of less reps a little lower, then a set of negatives where you slower lower yourself to the ground, then finish off with a set of whatever the most challenging of the easiest version you can do.

i also agree with focusing on your form. sloppy push ups aren't helpful at all
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Use a staircase. Choose a stair height where you can do 8 good form pushups. If that is still too much of an angle, start with a countertop. When you are able to do 3 sets of 8 good form pushups, move down a stair. Continue every other day-ish until you are eventually on the ground, doing good form pushups.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do weighted pushups
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for your help. I will focus on good form and doing a few full motion rather than alot of half push ups.