Sugar - Pure White and Deadly

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
I'm watching an interesting documentary about sugar that I thought might be of interest to those of us trying to kick the habit.

The Hidden Story of Big Sugar

http://macrobiotics.co.uk/sugar.htm

Knowledge is power.

Replies

• tanyashealth
    Options
    Thanks, BrendaLee. I have a terrible sugar addiction but I do find I eat less if I eat the real stuff. For some reason, artificial sweeteners make me crave more sweets and they make me feel kind of wonky in a bad way.

Update: I checked it out and it was a great source of info. I get so frustrated when trying to find simple things (such as bread) that aren't made with corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup. Bread should just be yeast, water, a little bit of sugar, salt, and flour (preferably whole grain). I don't have the time or energy to make my own so I have to resort to what is available in the stores. I have only found two brands (three including Ezekiel) that do not have corn syrups in them. I think many people may be surprised to know that many lunch meats have high amounts of corn syrup too. Why? Because it makes us crave more, eat more, buy more, and keeps us in this cycle. Corn syrups are also inexpensive for the food producer and extends the shelf-life of products. I expect to find tons of sugar in candies and sweetened drinks but bologna and bread? Come on. Fast food has a lot of it too. It is what keeps us going back for more.

Yet, despite what I know about sugar and its misuse in the food industry, I am still a sugar junkie who wants to stop the cycle of sugar cravings.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I truly just want it out of my diet and out of my life...I'm a slave to it. I'm determined to turn myself off of it one way or another.

Seeing it sitting on the floor in that big warehouse being moved around with a bulldozer is pretty icky. I can just imagine some big old rats playing around in the mountains of raw sugar. :tongue: