Do you use stevia?

Options
So I would like to make another small change to my diet and was wondering if stevia instead of sugar would be a good idea. Do you like it and how do you use it? Thanks

Replies

• Cuquita43
    Options
    I have been using stevia for about 10 years and I like it. I use it in my smoothies and I get plain low or non fat yougurt add a packet and I have dessert. Or I sprinkle on certain fruits like strawberries.

I think it is much better than the other sweetners in the market because it is natural. Most of the others have been processed or have other chemicals added to them. I hope it helps!!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I advise against it...real sugar is better then fake.. Both are bad
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for about 15 years and I love it. I use body ecology brand liquid (a few drops in tea/coffee/smoothies whatever) and carry it in my purse. If I don't have it, I don't use any sweetener. I swear by the stuff. I have never had any adverse reactions from using it. I've looked around to see if there are any studies warning against using stevia and have not found any. I believe they have been using this sweetener in Asia (specifically Japan) for some time without any problems.

ETA: I am not an expert on this subject but from what I can gather the only real trouble with artificial sweeteners might come because they can cause a blood sugar spike (because your body thinks it is getting sugar/food). So perhaps it is best to eat a little something when you use it (providing you are not using it in food already). This information was actually in reference to other artificial sweeteners (aspartame etc) not stevia but I imagine it also applies to stevia (even though it is an herb). Anyway after reading a bunch of articles on the subject (before I gave up splenda and other artificial sweeteners completely I researched them) I've been trying to follow this rule with stevia because it seems to make sense to me.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about Stevia is it's not really a sweetener. It's tricking you into thinking it's sweet.

You'll see what I mean if you use too much-- it tastes disgusting.

But for putting a bit in your tea or smoothie, it's fine. If you're trying to make a mocha with it, well, good luck.
  • anniebonnie
    anniebonnie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use what I'm assuming is the UK equivalent- truvia:D I put it on my oatmeal when I have it. Sometimes my cereal too, depending on how I feel:P
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I made the switch from Sweet N Low (used it for 20 years) to Stevia this year. From everything I read, it is much safer than artificial sweetners as it is an herb. I like it alot.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it. I know a lot of folks like it but to me it tastes super gross. I generally just use sweet N low.

But, as a side note, since sugar was kind of a vice for me, I focused my weight loss journey on learning how to go without sugar as opposed to just replacing it.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I used to use it until I became pregnant and my doctor advised against it. I’ve been using splenda ever since.
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I advise against it...real sugar is better then fake.. Both are bad

I'd like to hear your argument on the matter. People say that all the time, but they don't actually know the reason they think it's bad.. Stevia is a herb, so natural right?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're using stevia itself then you're getting a plant extracted sweetener much as sugar itself is, I grow stevia in my herb garden.

If you're using truvia / purvia (coke / Pepsi) versions of the same thing or one of the "tsp for tsp / gram for gram" replacements then you're getting a bulking agent along with the stevia extracts.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't like it, but that's just personal taste. All I add sweetener to is my smoothies, though. I prefer to use Sugar in the Raw or just honey.
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I grow stevia in my garden, and I have read that using it can have adverse reactions to fertility... I'm also curious as to what other people think.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If I am having something where I need just a little sweetening, I use real sugar. A teaspoonful has less than 20 calories. If I need more, I use Splenda (sucralose) or agave syrup. To me, Stevia has a terrible aftertaste.

Stevia vs. sucralose? They are both processed and it's a toss-up which is "healthier" although some people swear sucralose is poison in a yellow packet. :laugh:
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think Stevia tastes disgusting. I just go without sugar or on the extremely rare instance that I need sugar (for a recipe), I use the real stuff.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I used to use it until I became pregnant and my doctor advised against it. I’ve been using splenda ever since.

That is very intriguing, I have heard Splenda is horrible (pure chemicals) so I switched to Stevia.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I actually met with a stevia farmer in China, and it's not an artificial sweetener - it's a plant extract. What IS artificial in some brands are the additives. You want to look for the purest you can find - REB A 97%+. The additives that are with it cause changes in flavor - it's like the difference in the taste between Coke & Pepsi - one has a vanilla base, and one has a lemon base. Try a health food store for more variety & find a brand that tastes good to you and has as few additives as possible.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I tried Stevia but I didn't like it - I thought it had a wierd aftertaste. I use Splenda though. I used to dump sugar in my coffee/tea. After giving up coffee I still needed an alternative in my tea. I love that Splenda tastes just like sugar without all the calories.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I bought some, tasted it and hate it. I'm sticking with generic splenda.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I've tried the liquid stevia.
    I don't like the taste and there is a VERY fine line between 'Not sweet' to 'OMG NOOOO' with it.

Honestly, I'd rather use the pink stuff lol
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes, stevia is an herb.

BUT - the stuff you buy in the store is so processed and chemical laden it is the furthest thing from natural. If it were natural, it would be green.... like an herb.

I actually grew stevia in my garden this year and dried the leaves. I ground them down into a fine powder and use that as a true natural sweetner. But, like another poster said - dont use too much, or it has an extremely bitter taste (found that out the hard way!) I actually have a batch drying now that I am going to attempt to make the liquid extract next.