should I rest leg muscle or power through?

Options
Last week I was working out and noticed pain in my left calf muscle while doing weighted calf raises. It wasn't horrible and I pushed through it. I have continued to work out regularly using it and it hasn't been that bad. Today, I noticed it's swollen and seems even more stiff. Not painful really, just sore and stiff and it feels harder than the right one. I measured and it's about .75" bigger around, so not terribly swollen, but still. Anyway, I'm supposed to go workout today after work and was wondering if I should skip it, which I really don't want to do, or modify anything.

It's a class that I take 3 days a week called basic training and it's a lot of HIIT and full body stuff with weights. I would prefer to just do it and work through any discomfort, but I don't want to risk further injury. So, I've decided to consult the wisdom of MFP users :-)

Replies

• ejbrin
    Options
    NEVER work a muscle if it feels sore. NEVER.
    I know, it's tough to have to not exercise. I hate it.

But that soreness is caused by microtears/microtrauma in your muscles. But this is ok! This is how you build up stronger muscles! You need to first deconstruct them to reconstruct them and make them stronger and more resilient. But you need to allow your body to reconstruct them. If you keep exercising while your still sore, you're going to exacerbate those microtears and actually make yourself weaker and lead to a serious tear.

Edit: wikipedia article that also explains it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding#Weight_training
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    NEVER work a muscle if it feels sore. NEVER.
    I know, it's tough to have to not exercise. I hate it.

But that soreness is caused by microtears/microtrauma in your muscles. But this is ok! This is how you build up stronger muscles! You need to first deconstruct them to reconstruct them and make them stronger and more resilient. But you need to allow your body to reconstruct them. If you keep exercising while your still sore, you're going to exacerbate those microtears and actually make yourself weaker and lead to a serious tear.

I disagree, I think you can work out when you are sore...however you should not work out if you are in actual pain.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between being sore from a tough work out and being sore because of an injury. And this sounds a little more like an injury than just regular ol' "man I'm so sore from that hard core work out". If it were me, I'd ice it and rest for a couple of days and just do other work outs.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Not being a work out kind of guy myself, I have always subscribed to the theory that your body will tell you when something is wrong. If it is just sore, push it, but if it starts to cause pain then stop, rest and if it continues, seek medical assistance.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    But that soreness is caused by microtears/microtrauma in your muscles.
    [citation needed]

If I work out and I'm not sore, that doesn't mean I didn't get a good workout.

Likewise, if I work out and I'm sore three days later, chances are I'm fine to work out.

As a general rule, a muscle group should be fine with ~48 hours of rest.
  • ejbrin
    Options
    But that soreness is caused by microtears/microtrauma in your muscles.
    [citation needed]

If I work out and I'm not sore, that doesn't mean I didn't get a good workout.

Likewise, if I work out and I'm sore three days later, chances are I'm fine to work out.

As a general rule, a muscle group should be fine with ~48 hours of rest.

Here's your citation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

And yea, it should be fine after the first 48 hours.

And some edits: Actually, the more I look into this, it seems that low intensity, low impact workouts can be really more beneficial. Just stay away from something high intensity. (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1568)