zumba

churchsinger
churchsinger Posts: 16
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
About how many calories are burned during a 60 minute zumba class?

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I've been logging it as "Aerobics, general" because it's a combination of high and low impact aerobic activity.
  • Farasha
    Farasha Posts: 10 Member
    I do tribal belly dance and zumba is about the same if you ask me. A lot of the same type movements. The good thing you do is use muscles that you don't normally use in other exercises. Let me give you an example of my current weight. I have a picture of me at 230 lbs. about 5 years ago and wore a size 20. I have been belly dancing since then and got down to 175 lbs. and now gained back some to 230 lbs. I wear a size 16~~~ BIG DIFFERENCE> I know it really works for me.
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    I wear an HRM when I go and it depends on how much high intensity stuff they do (or you choose to do). I did a 60 minute class Saturday that burned 634.
  • I do not have a HRM, but the number of calories burned during any activity is going to be different for everyone depending on the intensity you work out at, the amount of muscle to body fat ratio you have, your height, age, weight, etc. If I'm pushing at a higher intensity level at most exercises (through MOST of the workout) I will usually count 10 cals burned per minute - i.e., 600 for 60 min., 30 for 30 min., etc. If I'm pushing at a lower level, the songs are slower, etc., then I'll count at maybe 6 or 7 cals burned per minute for the entire workout.. It at least gives me a good estimate (based on machines I have used where I enter my weight, age, etc.) to go with....hope this helps!
  • Thanks for your information.
This discussion has been closed.