Dangit !! Dr said "no more running" now what

Options
Ok I am at 140 down from 197/199 so im good and have kept it off by diet and running about 20 miles a week and biking evry day I dont run and I do it 7 days a week..Now I have a possible tendon problem in my lower right leg ( achelies ??) so he wants phy therpy for 3 o 6 weeks before ANY MORE running

I bike about 21-30 miles on the days dont run...now I will be biking everyday either in or out...im worried about putting the weight back on...I amy be able to use the Nordiac track or eliptical ??

Replies

• Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Depends on if it hurts or not. If it hurts, don't do it. You can keep your weight in check by being religious about your calorie intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight training.. it's better for fat loss anyways than cardio.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Swimming? I doubt the elliptical is OK since it stresses the same muscles as running, but I'm not a doctor (and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so I'd confirm that with yours.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah baby, start lifting those weights instead.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup weights is were it is at =) That and a healthy diet you will be fine and probably lose more fat with weight training!!
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bike.... and weights.

EDIT: and swim. Swimming is probably by far the best cardio for you.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I can't run because I've got to keep it low impact.

With a tendon issue it might be a repetitive motion concern for you.

But I'm bumping this in case there are any good suggestion I can swipe.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    Bike more - it saves the knees anyway and all of the cyclists I know who ride a lot have no issues with weight at all even if they do no other form of exercise. When I say a lot I am talking 100 plus miles a week.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Just watch your calories and you won't put the weight back on, but if you do start lifting (which you should) be prepared for fluctuations. Don't stress about it!
  • naschulze
    Options
    I would try a mix of weights and yoga. Yoga has a ton of benefits and is easy on the joints and is a great workout. When I first started my whole body was sore the next day even though in class I felt I was barely doing anything.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the row machine. Its a killer cardio workout.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have a bright idea. ASK YOUR DOCTOR.....
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    leg weight training is better for fat loss if you do it quick without breaks in between. and its easier on the joints anyway. i try to do legs 2 times a week. and doctors are not god, so if you feel ok running do it-just take it easy. doctor told me i would have knee pain forever because it is arthritis...so i strengthened my leg muscles and no more knee pain when running.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    As others have said, Swimming would be the best I think.

Who know, when you realize that swimming works your upper body so much more, you may find a love of doing both and could rotate swimming and running once your tendon is all healed up.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd have ask the doctor as soon as he said no more running...

But if for some reason he didn't..I was going to suggest swimming too. I have a bad knee from a fall off a race horse a few years ago that never was taken care of properly (my fault) and I walk/do a very slow jog and swim. :-)

Good luck!
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had injury in leg that eliminated my running but am able to do elliptical.....am wondering why you don't alternated weights with bike?
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Weights, bike, swimming seem like good suggestions from others.

If your achilles is hurt, ignoring the doctor and running anyways is a road to disaster. With it's poor blood flow and slow healing, you run an ever increasing risk of rupturing the achilles. That will mean surgery, therapy and a lot longer than a few weeks out from running.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with swimming. It is always good for an injury. And try lifting weights, if you aren't already. And once you *can* run again, don't do it 7 days a week. Your muscles need to rest on occasion. You will likely injure yourself again if you don't let your body get some rest.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great suggestions. I also suggest you Google,"upper body cardio moves," and you will get lots of results.
    Good luck and I hope you recover quickly!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat but with runner's knee instead. I am concentrating on upper body weight training and core. I am starting the elliptical but slowly. Want to give the knee as much rest as possible to get back to running sooner rather than later. My doctor said no biking...