No money for videos and equipment. HELP

Options
Ok, I see everyone is having great results with the different videos and plans, but what about the people on a budget? I'm a single Mom of two, and I can't afford to spend the extra $$ on DVDs. Are there any free workouts, maybe on YouTube, or another site that I can use? I have been doing what I can, but I know I lack direction. So far today I have done:

100 crunches
100 push ups the girlie kind
100 squats
100 butt lifts (laying on back in a sit up position, raise your butt up towards the ceiling

I really just don't know where to start. Any help or direction is welcome. I've lost 19 lbs in my first month, but I dont want to be a bowl of jelly :huh:

Replies

• Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com
  • Debell92
    Options
    Check your local library. They may have some and may be available for no charge if you have a membership.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Theres definitely good stuff on you tube...check out CharlieJames1975, she also has a website BodyRock.tv - the workouts are awesome. Also, if you have Comcast, there is free workouts on demand and on the Fitness channel
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, congrats on your weight loss already! 19lbs is awesome.

I would recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can find it here on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-WiQKi_W8

It has all 3 levels one right after the other. Start with just Level 1 for 10 days, then Level 2 for 10 days, then Level 3. That's how it's set up, but really you can incorporate it into other workouts and not do it every day, etc. Up to you. I did it in August and had a lot of success with it and really toned up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep - Google, YouTube, library, thrift stores. Lots of free and super cheap stuff out there. :smile:
  • isis006
    Options
    I find that the cheapest way to stay fit and healthy is circuit training, because you can do it at home, and you don't have to pay to use any equipment, however, i would suggest investing some money in a pull up bar, they work great. That's how i stay fit
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the Library. Be sure not to sweat on the books while you are lifting them. The thicker the heavier. It's polite to re-rack...or put the books back on the shelf where you found them. My wife tells me the books are more effective if I read them, but since when do I listen to her?

Oh and they might have DVD's too.
  • dotmango
    dotmango Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Running is free.
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    LIBRARY!!!

You can evne put holds to get DVDs from other libraries if your local one doesn't carry them. It's a great way to keep having variety built into your plan.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    if you have friends you can ask to borrow they dvds so you can burn copies of them...that is what my friend did.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    19 pounds in your first month? Go YOU! :)

Definitely cheap/free options out there for you. I don't know if you have cable but if you do and you have an 'on demand' type of service, there are usually tons of free workout videos available.

Your local library should have stuff for loan as well and yes, You Tube has plenty! Just look for the type of activity your'e into and you'll find some options!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The web is full of stuff. Many libraries have videos for loaning out. good luck
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My Cable provider has an exercise channel that has some nice 20 minute routines
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Go walking, hiking, or running. Go on Craigslist and find some people's old equipment. Maybe find an old bicycle and take a few laps around your town.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    if you have friends you can ask to borrow they dvds so you can burn copies of them...that is what my friend did.

I also hear there are torrent sites where you can download P90X, but of course I would never recommend such a thing.

You can do the P90x workout with homemade equipment, or very cheap suspension bands. Won't turn you into Arenold, but it's a start.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Save a little bit of money and pick up a kettlebell. Then start saving more money to pick up a heavier kettlebell several months down the road when you're ready to go bigger.

You can do a TON of stuff with a kettlebell.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, congrats on your weight loss already! 19lbs is awesome.

I would recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can find it here on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-WiQKi_W8

It has all 3 levels one right after the other. Start with just Level 1 for 10 days, then Level 2 for 10 days, then Level 3. That's how it's set up, but really you can incorporate it into other workouts and not do it every day, etc. Up to you. I did it in August and had a lot of success with it and really toned up.

THANK YOU for posting this link!:flowerforyou:
  • julieo81
    julieo81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm checking all the suggestions out, and I hope one really works for me.

I am a little anxious to start, but I know I can do it and will do great.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    fitnessmagazine.com

youtube

torrent sites (sssshhhhhhhhhhh, *runs away*)
  • ACinFL
    ACinFL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up any of the free Blogilates videos on YouTube. She has a TON of them up there, everything from pilates to dance cardio.