Cursive writing in school

Options
sillygoose1977
sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
I'm just curious as to how many of your children are still being taught cursive handwriting in school. My daughter is not and it is a little disconcerting that she isn't even being taught how to sign her name. Of course, I have taken on the task of teaching her myself, but since when is this a lost art?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this happening:( Very sad, indeed.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    my step son is a HS senior and his handwriting looks like a kindergartners
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My son's school still teaches it but only b/c it's a private school. Our public schools do not.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My son is in 4th grade and they started teaching him last year..I think they should just teach the basics in handwriting and then focus on typing..which is what he's going to use.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    That's awful. I hope it's just an American thing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I should mention that only 47% of our Public School 10th Graders are "proficient" at reading....

Ugh.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    there was probably a time when parents lamented that lack of calligraphy being taught as well. time moves on and things just arent needed anymore. they should replace cursive with more keyboarding/word processing.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I print so that my writing is hard to discern from anybody else's. I don't want the FBI to find me yet.
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    She can type like a champ, I'm not worried about that, but I do worry that she can't sign her name properly.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My sons' school still teaches cursive writing, but I'd much rather that they not do so and instead put more focus on something like math or science.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Both of my kids practiced cursive in school. I dont think its necessary for them to totally master it. I remember when I was growing up...I had to copy the newspaper cause my handwriting was atrocious..Fun sundays nonetheless..

Now..I either print..or I type...I dont think its a big deal. The only cursive I use is when I sign my name...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The private pre-k that my youngest went to taught her, but she has since forgotten.

I think it is truly a shame. But my kids were doing homework on the internet in second grade. Because so much is done electronically now, it is deemed less important as some other things.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh - I hope that this is true in our school district. My son has a fine motor issue and has reallly struggled learning to print. I was making myself sick the other day thinking that he is going to have to learn cursive next year.
  • CMASAM22
    Options
    My daughter attends the Mead school district, they are still teaching cursive,,,, District 81 does not so I hear. Thats a shame,
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My kids' school starts teaching them cursive in 3rd grade. I would also like to see the schools teaching them how to type early on as well ... my son started middle school (6th grade; 11 years old) and it is "preferred" that he type his homework (aka he writes it and I type it, lol).
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started teaching my kids cursive a few years ago when I realized that they had stopped teaching it. I think it sucks, but on eof the teachers said they may be bringing it back. Evidently, one of the senior exit exams was meant to be in cursive (essay) until they realized it wasn't going to happen because they stopped teaching it. :huh:
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    My daughter will learn next year ( 3rd grade ) :)
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    I know it's not that important, but so many schools are still cutting art, music and P.E. programs which are all (in my opinion) extremely important in children's development. I guess I see the writing as a sort of art form that shouldn't be altogether lost in this electronic age.

Besides, her handwriting SUCKS!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My kids aren't being taught cursive at all. Evidently the district took it out of the curriculum.
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No, they don't teach it over here in Tennessee either. Luckily my son went to a Christian Academy while I was deployed. He was in 1st grade and they taught cursive there. :) He thinks it's so neat that he knows how to write in cursive and his friends don't.