Carrying your phone..

Options
Okay, so my phone is my life, sad, I know. I use two different apps when doing the couch to 5k program, plus listen to music. Right now, I am embarrassed to say that I carry my phone tucked into my sports bra. I tried a case that goes on your arm, but it doesn't give me easy access. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I hold my phone when I run. I use it for music and as a timer.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    i do that too. works really well - and it was suggested to me by like TEN of my friends, so I think that's the going solution these days.

there is also something called a SPI belt and knockoffs of that which works well, my husband uses one.
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    Options
    I just carry it in my hand. It's as easy access as you can get. It was slightly awkward to begin with, but that quickly passed. Now I can check on my time/mileage and change songs really easily.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I just hold it, but sports bra is a good idea!

Also, I think it's important to have a phone on you when running for safety purposes, so don't feel bad about needing your phone on you. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just hold mine in my right hand and go.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What about something that clips to your waist band? Or a wrist band holder thingy? I would just worry about getting my phone all sweaty.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If easy access is most important, as it seems to be for you, then I don't think you can beat holding it in your hand. I've done that before when I'm using the MapMyRun app to log my runs (I get really sweaty in the nether-bra region, so that's not an option for me unless I want to waterlog the electrical circuits of my phone). I have also worn the phone armband around my knee --- sounds weird, I know, but I got one that apparently is for people with 75-inch biceps ;), so it only stays on around my knee or upper calf. I can pop my phone out fairly easily if I need it, although it does require me to dead-stop for a few seconds. My Spi-Belt knockoff (from Sports Authority, I think?) is also great, but the way it's shaped means that if you need something mid-run, you have to come to a full stop or risk having other things like IDs fall out when you're grabbing your phone.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I ruined a phone with sweat by carrying it in my sports bra (try explaining THAT to the guy at the phone store). Now I use an armband or hold it in my hand.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I too, ruined a phone and an MP3 player running with them in my hands, bras, or running shorts pockets. I just sweat way too much! :( But I have an arm strap now that, while it's a bit difficult to access while running, I at least can stop and take it out if I need to. :) Plus, I have an awesome playlist for my long runs that make it unnecessary to change it!
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use an arm band--I've gotten used to what I can and can't access. I've heard *many* stories of ruined phones after too many runs in a bra, though never experienced it myself--seems way too uncomfortable to me. SPI belts are another option.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I just hold it and run, no ear budsor anything like that, just the phones speaker. I like listening to music, using it for pacing. Also, I like being able to hear if some *kitten* is driving up behind me.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin so do not have that problem But my husband has his phone and just carries it or puts it in a case on his waist band.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Another sports bra person here. However I did try the tube sock idea off Pinterest since I refuse to pay $20-30 for an armband since I hate them. Happy to say the tube sock works perfectly and your phone stays in place and best of all, you can wash it.
  • Kdhuynh54
    Options
    i use one of those iFitness waistband holders. i love it! they hold a good amount of stuff and don't really move around at all.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike running app in an arm strap... Works well :)
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I really like the SPIbelt. They also have an armband and other accessories.

www.spibelt.com
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the arm band, then holding it is your next best option. The waist cases just bounce around too much! Plus, if you get the iPhone app Zombies, Run! it has a setting for holding it in your hand. :)

If you bicycle, you can get a bike mount!

Also, seriously consider a bluetooth headset like the LG HBS-700. I love this thing!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Tone-Wireless-Bluetooth-Packaging/dp/B0052YFYFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350329430&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+hbs-700

EDIT TO ADD: With the right headset and playlist, you can advance to the next song/ pause/ etc. from the headset!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I wear a sports bra over my reg bra when I exercise. Gotta strap the girls down tight. Anyway... I stick my phone between the 2 bras to keep it dryish. If it is a super hot day I put a folded paper towel in there.

My new workout capris have a little pocket in the waistband. Those are perfect. Wish my Oma was still alive so she could sew little pockets inside all of my workout gear.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a baggie and then in my bra. Works for me :)
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    I got the Belkin arm band case for the iPhone and now have an awful burn on my arm from it. I'm going back to holding it in my hand. Kind of sucks!