Shape Magazine: "Fat Fighters" Query

Hi MFP Community,

In the latest issue of Shape Magazine, the following short article was published:

"Fat Fighters: Mangosteen + Indian Sphaeranthus
People who took a 400 mg blend of these two extracts twice a day for two months lost three times as much weight as those given a placebo (11.5 pounds versus 3.3 pounds), according to a study presented at the Obesity Society's annual scientific meeting. Researchers hypothesize that these ingredients work together to break down body fat, as well as to prevent additional fat from being stored."

Not sure if there are any scientific researchers who prowl these forums, but wanted to submit this article for thought and feedback, and ask if anyone knows of any potential harmful side effects of these extracts? I know that there are a couple of products out there that claim to have "proprietary blends" of Mangosteen and Indian Sphaeranthus, but the labels are not very forthcoming as to how many mg's of each are included in each supplement.

Also, I'm not sure I'm convinced a magic extract will help me shed unwanted pounds... would be awesome if it could!

Replies

• chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    I just read this too (catching up on back-issues) and am curious. Any feedback?