how do i fix it

Options
So some of you are prob. tired of me by now but i'm so discouraged. I lost 45 lbs doing medifast. Came off the foods but was doing same cals/ carbs ans gained 10 lbs back. Returned to this site and was encouraged to join EMTWL. Did the metabolism reset for 5 weeks and gained 13 lbs! Tried to eat at 20% below tdee and gained another 2 lbs. Did 30 % cut and couldn't lose. Dropped to 1200. No loss. Sooo i tried staying between 800 and 1000. Lost 1 lb. Same amt this week and I've GAINED 3 lbs :( soooo obviously I've screwed up my metabolism. How do i fix it without gaining another. 20 lbs? Can it even be fixed?

Other info: Started Zoloft shortly before doing metabolism reset. Exercise 4-5 days a.week. was doing p90x now doing Chalean extreme. Trying to get in to my doc but she's not available till Oct. Did have thyroid checked in May and it was fine.

Replies

• mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    :frown:
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Working out....replacing what you work off...eating lean...you dont need to eat 6 times a day or anything...but working out and eating are what you need to do...stop starving yourself
  • mjj79
    Options
    Working out....replacing what you work off...eating lean...you dont need to eat 6 times a day or anything...but working out and eating are what you need to do...stop starving yourself

Thanks for responding.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Anyone have success upping cals and NOT gaining weight or not gaining for long?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Exactly. You can't eat this little. it will make you sick and it will not help your weight loss.

Meticulous logging of measured/weighed food
    Let MFP calculate your calories with yourself set as sedentary
    Exercise a reasonable amount and eat back your calories
    Try to keep a reasonable macro balance - I personally do better with slightly lower carbs (40%), but you may not

It takes a long time gain weight and it takes a long time to lose it. But if you are patient you will take it off and learn the skills to keep it off.
  • mjj79
    Options

Exactly. You can't eat this little. it will make you sick and it will not help your weight loss.

Try to keep a reasonable macro balance - I personally do better with slightly lower carbs (40%), but you may not

It takes a long time gain weight and it takes a long time to lose it. But if you are patient you will take it off and learn the skills to keep it off.

So i did this and mfp said 1200 :/
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    One of the possible side effects, in fact, probable side effects of zoloft is weight gain, so it may be your medication that is the issue here, rather than your diet.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary
    You should consider eating less processed food, that includes meal replacement shakes
    real food is so much better.
    MFP won't recommend under 1200 cals, for most people this is not enough
    Then you should eat your exercise cals on top.

How long did you stick with the 1500 cals after the reset before you gave up and started eating too little?
  • mjj79
    Options
    I checked your diary
    You should consider eating less processed food, that includes meal replacement shakes
    real food is so much better.
    MFP won't recommend under 1200 cals, for most people this is not enough
    Then you should eat your exercise cals on top.

How long did you stick with the 1500 cals after the reset before you gave up and started eating too little?

I don't remember how long.. maybe 3 weeks??? But i've tried (before medifast) to eat a more reasonable calorie amt w/out ANY success.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    so exercise more, then youll require more food....more you burn the more you stoke the metabolic fire
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You really have to keep at it. You are just not eating enough at 1200 food and with up to 500 cals of exercise per day.
    Try to stay away from the shakes, eat fruit vegies meat grains and a little dairy.
    rather than shakes, cakes, bars and honey nut cereals.

you will feel a lot better i promise
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Stop with the gimmicks/quick fixes and learn how to eat! That's the only way you'll lose it and keep it off.
    Google healthy meal ideas for breakfast lunch dinner and snacks. This takes work, and you have to be willing to do it in order to be truly successful!
  • leska1216
    Options

You need to eat more to lose weight. You are not eating enough.

I input everything into MFP and go by what it has specified -- I now eat more than I ever have and am losing weight.

Eat healthy, drink lots of water, and exercise.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    One of the possible side effects, in fact, probable side effects of zoloft is weight gain, so it may be your medication that is the issue here, rather than your diet.
    Also this. I don't know what Zoloft is but anything that screws with hormones can affect your metabolism.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Also this. I don't know what Zoloft is but anything that screws with hormones can affect your metabolism.

Thanks. Planning to talk to my doc about this but couldn't get an appt. for a while :/
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Doing ChaLean Extreme is a first great step. Adding muscle to your body will increase your metabolism in the long run causing you to burn more throughout the day. Definitely keep up with the weight training.

As far as nutrition, I LOVE the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. It does a great job explain why eating real food is so much better than processed food and how to go about changing your eating to be healthier and lose weight. It's really a great read so I encourage you pick it up.

Additionally, keep in mind that the body weight can fluctuate a ton based on what you ate the previous day and monthly cycles and all that. Don't weigh yourself more than once a week, and maybe even moving it to every other week would be a good idea. Focus on eating healthy foods that nourish your body rather than just cals. 100 cals of garbage is not that same as 100 cals of really healthy food. I know people say it's just cals in versus cals out but what you eat truly matters. Now, you can't overeat on healthy foods and expect to lose weight, but your body does respond differently to the quality of the food.

Hope that helps! I'm also a huge fan of Shakeology (and all things Beachbody) since that helps me get all the fruit/veggie nutrition I don't get enough of and is a "whole food" formula. Feel free to message me if you want more specific advice.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

So i did this and mfp said 1200 :/

So eat 1200 and do some exercise and you can eat back those calories.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Stop with the gimmicks/quick fixes and learn how to eat! That's the only way you'll lose it and keep it off.
    Google healthy meal ideas for breakfast lunch dinner and snacks. This takes work, and you have to be willing to do it in order to be truly successful!

^^^This.
    You need to follow a sustainable plan. I could never stick with something that is not "normal" food. This would include both natural/healthy choices as well as the ocassional processed/junk food. I would need to be able to eat what I enjoy, but w/control.
  • danaweston
    Options
    no