running question

Options
Starting Monday I plan to get up in the morning and start running 3x a week. Is it ok to not eat beforehand and if I need to eat something what do you suggest that's quick? Is it ok to eat something directly before running? I'm not running a marathon or anything, just 2 miles or so and at an easy pace since i'm just starting this routine. Thanks foe any help you can provide.

Replies

• drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to run more than 4 or 5 miles unless I at least have a banana or granola bar, but for the distances you're starting with it should be fine to eat after. Some people run really long distances on no breakfast too, I just find it difficult personally. You may find that you need something even for short runs, if so the aforementioned banana or granola bar are a good easy choice.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You should be fine running a few miles on an empty stomach. If I'm going over 5 miles I like to just have an apple or other fruit and save my real breakfast for after. I skip food before shorter run, because I hate running on a full stomach (I'll cramp). Find what works for you, and congrats and starting running!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I do all my running on an empty stomach as I tend to get crampy if I eat. I race marathons on an empty stomach.

This is one of those situations where you need to figure out what works best for you by trial and error.
  • spodnik13
    spodnik13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been told you should always eat before running, just having something small like some fruit or a granola bar is what I usually do. You should always always always wait at least 30 minutes between eating and exercising because otherwise your body has to split it's energy between that and digesting so you will not be able to properly digest all your food.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have read so many conflicting opinions about this. Personally, I can't run on an empty stomach. I need to eat something at least 1.5 hrs before hand, and it has to be something alot more than fruit. I say, try both and see what works. It's all about personal comfort, really.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running, we are each an experiment with a "sample size of one."

The ONLY thing that matters is what works best for each of us. Try different things and see what you like. Ideally we figure it out in training, so then we can kick *kitten* on race day.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Since school started, I've been squeezing in a morning run of about 2 miles before I take my kid to school. Have to beat the heat and 2 miles is all I have time for. I generally go on an empty stomach (but get at least two cups of water down before I head out) and have no problems with lack of energy or anything.

If I happen to feel hungry when I first get up, I'll eat a small granola bar (those Nature Valley Granola Thins), or a half a banana with some almond or peanut butter or whatever. Just something small to take the edge off, and usually at least 30 to 45 minutes before I run.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running, we are each an experiment with a "sample size of one."

The ONLY thing that matters is what works best for each of us. Try different things and see what you like. Ideally we figure it out in training, so then we can kick *kitten* on race day.

I totally agree... ran an HM last Sunday, took some sips of water along the way (I never eat or drink before any of my training runs), and stomach was funny the whole way and it necessitated a toilet break which wasn't helpful.

Will never make that rookie's mistake again!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If I am doing a morning run, I will get up about 2 hours prior to scheduled run, have my hot lemon water, coffee and my usual breakfast pre-run of quinoa with berries. This gives my body time to "digest" the food and I have the energy for a good run. I normally run in the afternoon but on the weekends I try and get it over with early. It is really individualized... Do you eat, not eat before other workouts??
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I do all my running on an empty stomach as I tend to get crampy if I eat. I race marathons on an empty stomach.

This is one of those situations where you need to figure out what works best for you by trial and error.

Agreed and me too.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be fine for short distance. You might want to carry a granola bar or a bit of candy or something the first few times you do it just in case you get lightheaded/hypoglycemic a distance from home. Just something you can stash in your pocket. Most likely you won't need it.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Different for different people. You need to experiment.
  • norallen
    norallen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on my schedule..if my last meal was more than three hours ago (and I'm running for half an hour or more) I grab a snack to hold me over..crackers or nuts, nothing too heavy.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    They say you should eat 2 hours before you run, but I'm not getting up to eat at 5 am and then sitting around for two hours. I don't eat before I run and I usually do 7 miles. On the rare occasion I go out at night I do eat.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    when I run longer distances, like over 3 miles I have to eat something..... I'm currently training for a half marathon and on long runs on saturdays I HAVE to eat a good breakfast, and get up two hours before the run to let everything settle. Before a two mile EZ run, I don't find it necessary to eat.
  • _workforit
    Options
    I feel like it varies person to person - there's no right or wrong answer. Personally, I like to have a little something before a run (banana, apple, maybe a granola bar). But alot of my friends run on empty stomachs and simply can't if they've had something to eat. Try both ways and see what works best for you!
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bottom line is, everyone is different. Generally, it is a good idea to eat a lil something...banana or whatever kinda fruit you like-it gives ya a bit of a jump start and helps stave off fatigue, but like some are saying- some just cant eat before a run or any kind of workout for that matter. I get really bloated if I eat before I run, so I wont eat until right after. Just experiment and find out what works best for you.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I find that as long as I drank lots of water the day before.. I'm totally fine. Sometimes I have a glass of hot water with a squeeze of lemon which helps keep me hydrated too. I find that if I wanted to eat before I ran, I'd have to get up really really early.. and sleep is important too!
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I usually run up to 5miles without eating. If I do eat I will eat a Special K granola bar.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    eat at least something small before and after :)