bleck brussel sprouts

Options
shabaity
shabaity Posts: 792 Member
any one have a way to make them taste better?

Replies

• zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Roasted with diced sweet potatoes!
    Little coconut oil and cajun seasoning. Unf. So good.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I like to saute them in olive oil and garlic. Turns out nice and caramelized.
  • proudarmywife06
    proudarmywife06 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I put a little olive oil in a frying pan and sautee them with garlic and onions. I used to add bacon to it too but I've been cutting that out.
  • wastelander92
    wastelander92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love to sauté them in soy sauce to top jasmine rice very yummy
  • shabaity
    Options
    may have to try these ppl are still trying to convince me they are good
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    Roasted in 425 degree oven, alone or with other veggies in olive oil, pepper and garlic, or olive oil and balsamic vinegar.....yum!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity -- why force yourself to eat them if you don't like them? Not trying to be snarky (honestly!), but I never understood why people feel the need to eat something they can't stand because it's perceived as "healthy." Aren't there other foods you *do* like that will provide the same nutrients you want?
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Roasted! A little bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Baked 350 for 30 min. yummy!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I loove brussel sprouts! I like them simply steamed with a lemon/garlic dressing. Or quartered and roasted with garlic. Yum!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Roasted in duck fat and high heat, finished with a balsamic reduction
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity -- why force yourself to eat them if you don't like them? Not trying to be snarky (honestly!), but I never understood why people feel the need to eat something they can't stand because it's perceived as "healthy." Aren't there other foods you *do* like that will provide the same nutrients you want?

I agree. There are tons of other green veggies to eat out there! You really must enjoy what your eating or your just setting yourself up to do something you regret later :)
  • malicent
    Options
    wtf brussel sprouts are BOMB... boil them up and I'll stuff my face silly YUM xDD
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil, kosher salt and pecans. Amazing!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Roasted in 425 degree oven, alone or with other veggies in olive oil, pepper and garlic, or olive oil and balsamic vinegar.....yum!

I do this..... I have an olive oil mister (found it at TJ Maxx) so I don't go overboard on EVOO. I cut off the stems, quarter them, lightly mist them with EVOO. Salt and Pepper to taste. 425 for 20-25 mins.... leaves need to start turning brown/black..... it's the crispy leaves that I love the most. Drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar is yummy too.

Mince up some garlic to sprinkle over them works but you don't want to burn garlic.
  • spodnik13
    spodnik13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried simmering them in beer? FANTASTIC! The alcohol gets cooked off so all you get is the delicate brussel sprouts with the flavors the beer was brewed with. I was recommended to use a brown ale from a friend who is a craft beer bartender for cooking brussel sprouts as they are a bitter food.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I saute them in olive oil with sea salt, black pepper, lots of minced garlic (bout 2 heaping TBSP) and red pepper flakes.....yummmmm and I don't share LOL
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I do this..... I have an olive oil mister (found it at TJ Maxx) so I don't go overboard on EVOO. I cut off the stems, quarter them, lightly mist them with EVOO. Salt and Pepper to taste. 425 for 20-25 mins.... leaves need to start turning brown/black..... it's the crispy leaves that I love the most. Drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar is yummy too.

Mince up some garlic to sprinkle over them works but you don't want to burn garlic.

oooh i got my Misto from TJMaxx too!! its awesome!! roasted brussell sprouts with olive oil infused with garlic and pepper, with sundried tomatoes...sooooo gooood
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options

I agree. There are tons of other green veggies to eat out there! You really must enjoy what your eating or your just setting yourself up to do something you regret later :)

I need to find veggies I do like, so for me this was a great question. Maybe I'll have the courage to try brussel sprouts one day. I seen some great ideas, but none say how long to cook them or if you can use the frozen kind in these recipes. Anyone have the answers to those?
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love them tossed with a bit of Catalina or Russian salad dressing
  • shabaity
    Options
    i eat them because im not the only one that cooks however i am the only one that has yet to reconcile myself to the taste