Wii Excercise?

Options
A strange question, but a need to know question. I just recently bought a Wii and have the Sports game that it comes with and the Sport Resort. I've been playing it like it's going out of style and my arms are killing me. I must have boxed last night for hours. Does anyone count the Wii sport games as exercise? I may be pulling at strings on this one :)
94811.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just got it too, and I don't know about the rest of the games but the boxing is painful! My sister and I decided that it's probably because when you're actually punching something, the object prevents you from overextending your joints - do you hurt like workout-hurt or like you threw something out? That's sort of beside the point, actually - anything that raises your heart rate significantly is cardiovascular exercise. I'd count it, but I don't know how I'd do it - maybe get a HRM?
  • ClanKeithROoF
    Options
    I think you nailed the problem. It's easy to over extend when shadow boxing (i.e. punching air which is what you do with Wii boxing). As a rule, you should never extend a punch like that to your arm's full length. About 75-80% will do. Also, the tendency is to flex all muscles when punching. This is bad for several reasons. I'm a martial artist and one of the first things my instructor taught me was to keep the arm relaxed until the point of impact. Since there is no impact in Wii boxing I'd say keep the arm relaxed always.
  • Bingomama
    Options
    I counted my Wii calories today, It was hard because I had to check various excersizes to see what would match up to my calorie burn. I chose, a brisk walk at 20 minutes which gave me the correct amount that I burned off on the wii this morning. The Wii rocks and I'm sure its going to help me achieve my goals..or at least see results.

Wii on !!

Kelly
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and do it as light cardio. It usually gets my hr up to 113, so it doesn't burn much but if you do it long enough you will get benifits from it. So yes, I count it. It just is only 100 or so calories per 1/2 hr of continous use. If I am playing with the family and we are taking turns, then I don't count it.
  • beanface25
    Options
    Thanks! That is very helpful. My arms hurt in a good work out way, like they do when I actually go to the gym!