What do you eat to stay at 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I also don't knw people eat that low either. I always get headaches if I eat less than 1400. But I find on rest days my appetite is insatiable so I try to workout everyday unless my body definately needs a break.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Make cordon bleu without the breading......It is really good in salad the next day too.
    Pound some thin chicken breats flat add some low fat cheese and a piece of ham and roll up, secure with a tooth pick and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until no longer pink. I usually cut one open to check..my meat therm is wacked.
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    I eat whatever strikes my mood. I have found that by being conscious of portion sizes, I can eat the same stuff I was eating before MFPing; I just have to make sure that I'm close to my 1200 net calories ea. day.

I have gotten into the habit of logging my breakfast and my lunch after eating them. Same for snacking. BUT, for dinner, I log one serving before eating so that I can see what cals. are left and decide whether I'll want seconds, or rather have an evening snack. My breakfast is usually cereal w/skim and a cup or two of coffee. Lunch, typicaly a salad. Dinner, you never know. :tongue:

Oh, there is a great recipe on www.allrecipes.com called Salsa Chicken. So simple and delicious!

I do the same and add in more exercise if I want to eat a little more or have a glass of wine so it balances. I also try to eat things high in protein so I'm full longer.

My average meal plan is something like this:

Breakfast: Special K w/ red Berries and skim milk

Lunch: Capri Super-V pouch (I grab those because they are fast, it's the only non-water drink I have all day)
    a Healthy Choice meal or Clif bar for lunch with fruit (grapes, strawberries, etc) and a veggie (carrots usually)
    I only really get about a 10-15 minute lunch break as a teacher so I don't have time for much else.

Dinner: a regular meal with one serving pre-computed into MFP so I can see what's left or how much exercise is needed. Then I decide if I want seconds, wine, dessert, whatever based upon the calories/carbs/fat I have left.

Common snacks are: turkey roll-ups, string cheese, fruit, veggies, low fat cottage cheese, yogurt
  • LadyScorpio1960
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1500 on any given day.
    I also make myself a large ziplock bag of veggies...celery, broccoli, cauliflower, red/yellow/orange peppers and snow peas and as soon as I get hungry between meals I graze...it's been amazing and I get tons of veggies in this way :-)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200 calories a day, and so far, I have had no problem staying that low. However, I find myself grazing on low calorie snacks and eating chicken with no sides, etc. I don't have actual low calorie MEAL plans that I can eat, other than weight watchers meals. I would like to start cooking and experimenting a little. I have two small children, so I like quick and easy meals. However, I am trying to learn to enjoy new foods and cooking them. Can anyone share their recipes for simple, not a ton of ingredients, low calorie meals? Thanks!

You might want to figure out what your TDEE and BMR are.. this post can help you do that. If 1200 is actually around what is a good level then all power to you.

Otherwise this post can help work out what your TDEE and BMR are http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^^^ This

I'm 5'2 and on 1500 cals a day and losing. IMHO 1200 is too low for most people. just my two cents but I'm happier now, (don't judge todays diary!)
  • SunnyLuc87
    Options
    removed
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    A salad with most meals is a great help, spinach, tomatoes, celery, cucumbers & lo cal dressing has very little calories & a lot of nutrition.

I love huevos rancheros for dinner, eggs (or egg whites) cooked in salsa & serve on a tortilla, maybe with some avocado on the side and black beans.

Also, if I am exercising, no way I will feel full on 1200 a day, I can do that for a few days to "save up" for a big meal or something but as a daily plan I think it's really really tough.
  • Bobbie617
    Bobbie617 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Gina's recipes and pictures!
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I ditto the oatmeal w/almond milk! It's very filling and will get me through about 5-6 hours before I'm hungry again. Sometimes I eat for dinner then I don't go to bed with my stomach growling!
  • sem021966
    Options
    I am generally around 1200 and I feel like I eat a lot some days (some days I'm over if I've earned extra exercise calories). I even have a hard time reaching 1200 sometimes and that is eating 3 meals and even some snacks - been on an ice cream/sherbet kick lately. My meals are pretty healthy too and I love quick and easy meals - several 1 pan dinners. Anyway... my diary is open if you want some ideas and I'll share recipes if there is anything there that catches your eye. Good luck on your journey!!
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tend to do coffee and a cereal or protein bar for breakfast. In the beginning of my journey for lunch I ate salads with protein but did the dipping fork routine (still use this) or had frozen meals at 200 to 300 cals because it was just easy and it was something I didn't have to think about . I didn't snack at all, I drank water instead. Then for dinner I grill meat and eat huge portions of veg before eating protein. For me the secret was eating appropriate portions. I judge any snack, sweet, alcohol against Cal intake and what is important to me. Then I simply started walking.... to burn and be able to eat more. I am now in maintenance mode and still do the same. The only difference is that the first 2 months were VERY hard but now its just habit. Its all about in vs. out. Use spray oil, shrartaki noodles, grill when you can, don't use the weather as an excuse not to burn and keep supporting and accepting support. You will get there if you just take it min by min. Listen to the positive things in your head and not the things telling you to eat whatever or excuses not to get in a burn. Get up and move. Add me if you'd like another friend. And as you read this, get down and give 20 crunches! :flowerforyou:
  • Jhingz
    Jhingz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    fruits & veggies :D
    cucumber is my regular snack & water replaced all colored drinks :D
  • I take my dinner way down and then just eat smaller portions of normal food at breakfast and lunch. I do a healthy bar of some kind, like Mrs. May's Trio bars or the Kind bars. They are all natural, healthy, low calorie and delicious like candy. That's about 200 calories. That leaves my plenty enough to have a smaller, yet very satisfying breakfast and lunch. The light dinner takes about a week to get used to, but after that you'll do fine. What do you need a lot of calories for at that time of night anyway? Since you have kids and probably eat with them, soup might be a good choice for you.
  • Ideacraft
    Ideacraft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually a protein energy bar in the morning or an egg english muffin with cheese - sometimes oatmeal. I keep breakfast around 250 calories. A mid morning snack is usually a cake batter protein shake I found on pinterest that is under 200 cals. Lunch is typically either a turkey sandwich or cheese pita pocket with spinach. Also under 300 cals. Then for a mid-afternoon snack, I have a weight watchers 90 calorie ice cream drumstick. Dinner is usually around 400 calories and I always write them in "my recipes" section so I know exactly how many cals I'm getting. I usually have about 100-200 or so leftover for a nighttime popcorn snack or wine. But when I get exercise in, I increase my snacking mostly. So far after 3 weeks of starting fitness pal, I've lost 9 lbs. Not too bad considering I'm eating what I want to. :-) It also makes me make better choices about what I'm eating regularly.
  • fun74hu
    Options
    I was raised cooking... so I have been making meals since I was 5. Oh I should add that I went from a carb based up bringing being hyper sensitive to gluten. So I try to eat mostly gluten free.
    When I lived alone, I ate a ton of shirataki noodles with chicken broth and veggies, or home made meat sauce, salads, and Sprouts has some awesome healthy chicken meatballs.
    Now I live with my boyfriend who is ultra picky, addicted to fast food for 20 yrs. So first I got him used to home cooked meals. He rarely eats out now vs. his 2-3 runs to fast food/day. Recently I started cooking Paleo based on the Paleo cookbook (amazon) and we are getting used to it. Tonight I made a beef and broccoli which came to 400 calories per serving. Low sodium, and I know exactly what was in it. The other day I made spaghetti squash with paleo meat sauce, which I loved under 400 cal. I make a lot of kabobs. HE loves red meat, which is a challenge, but I only eat a little, and keep roasted whole turkey breast sliced in the fridge. I make my own pudding cups and jello cups (orange sugar free jello with tangarin oranges..yumm) . Found Blue Bunny no sugar mini ice cream bars that are only 70 cal.
    I also make Dukan Gallette for breakfast every day which comes to about 300-350/cal, and is full of fiber, keep me fine all morning. (I can handle oat bran go figure).
    I keep 100 cal. snacks for the urges, but I generally eat only 3 times as that's filling enough.
    I also work out two separate times a day, once after work (I work overnight) then early afternoon after some rest. easy 350-600 cal. burned. I use Runkeeper for walks/runs.
    Hope to loose all I need to :O) this logging everything seems to be helping me a lot and is keeping me motivated. Hopefully my body will be able to keep up. :O)
    Good luck to you all!
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I average 1200 a day and my food instake looks like this (bare in mind i'm Aussie )

Breakfast - 3 weetbix (wheat based breakfast biscuits. Very little sugar/salt) and skim milk & tea / skinny latte

Morning Tea - Vegie sticks with Tzaziki/fat free low sugar yoghurt (Nestle Forme)/ strawberries / cruskits or rice ckaes iwth cream cheese.

Lunch - big salad with chicken

Afternoon Tea - as per morning tea, and usually a cup of tea

Dinner - steak/chicken and vegies

Dessert - fun sized chocolate (55cal) or a diet choc mousse and tea (yes I have a tea addiction lol)

I usually come in just under 1200.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200 calories a day, and so far, I have had no problem staying that low. However, I find myself grazing on low calorie snacks and eating chicken with no sides, etc. I don't have actual low calorie MEAL plans that I can eat, other than weight watchers meals. I would like to start cooking and experimenting a little. I have two small children, so I like quick and easy meals. However, I am trying to learn to enjoy new foods and cooking them. Can anyone share their recipes for simple, not a ton of ingredients, low calorie meals? Thanks!

I dont worry about it I work out about it I work out so I need to eat more if I don't quiet eat enough I don't sweat it ( see a pattern) I mostly just eat when I am hungery and don't eat when I am not :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    What do I eat? More calories than that!

I can hit 1200 only on perfect days filled with vegetables and lean protein sources. And even then, those days are rare!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200, have put it up to 1300 in the past fortnight. I am 5ft and very overweight, so it works for me. My diary is open, but I'm more of a snacker than a meal-eater.