Yo Yo Dieting

Options
I have lost weight and gained it back more times than I can count, and I always set out with the "Once I lose this weight, I'll be able to keep it off," mentality. I usually start out strong, and then revert back to old ways. I have done it so many times, I don't even think that I believe that I will actually get down to my goal weight AND KEEP IT OFF. Anyone else have this problem? HELP!!!!!

Replies

• pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have the problem but not the answer, I must have lost and gained a NFL team by now :sad: !! lol Good luck with your latest journey!:drinker:
  • pussycat1997
    Options
    I have lost weight and gained it back more times than I can count, and I always set out with the "Once I lose this weight, I'll be able to keep it off," mentality. I usually start out strong, and then revert back to old ways. I have done it so many times, I don't even think that I believe that I will actually get down to my goal weight AND KEEP IT OFF. Anyone else have this problem? HELP!!!!!

yes im the same dw your not alone
  • Wyutzy
    Wyutzy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, i have the same problem.... I am at my heaviest right now and desparate for some answers!
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    Ok here's the secret in losing weight : determination

sorry people nothing else works... I've tried ... ;).... best of luck... just stick to it even if you keep going astray... It should just get easier in the long run hopefully!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You need to set up a routine that is sustainable. Way too many fail (gain the weight back), because they lose it using unsustainable means . That means that by the end of your weightloss, you've learned nothing, abused your body, and go back to your old ways. The ONLY way to do this for the long term is to develop long term habits. Eat good balanced nutrition at a moderate calorie deficit. Do some exercise. Before you know it you will feel so good that you will feel compelled to keep at it, the right way. This is in stark contrast to doing things like crash diets, cleanses, detoxes, and fads, where by the end of it you are miserable and have nowhere to go but back to your old habits.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have the problem but not the answer, I must have lost and gained a NFL team by now :sad: !! lol Good luck with your latest journey!:drinker:

I think that you said it: journey. I think that should help me....I guess I will always have issues with my weight, always have since I can remember!
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have the problem but not the answer, I must have lost and gained a NFL team by now :sad: !! lol

That is how I feel but I never thought of it as a whole team before.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I think what a lot of people dont understand is to give fat a reason not do exist shouldnt include low calorie diets.
    In fact low calorie diets give fat even more reason to exist.
    People diet down with (Insert fad diet name) including extreme calorie restriction and working out too much, lose the fat while dropping RMR/BMR only to gain it back because theyve shifted metabolic rate so low that once the calories pop up high....you get the picture.

Find TDEE, cut 15-30% and ride that till the first plateau.
    Take a week off.
    Find new TDEE cut 15-20% ride till plateau.
    Take week off....rinse and repeat.
  • mllst18
    Options
    I think that you're right--It's about a lifestyle change. I am trying to implement smaller changes, and MFP definitely makes me aware of what I'm putting into my body, which is a huge step in the right direction for me. I guess that I really just want to get back some of the confidence I once had....some days I just hate myself for doing this to my body and my self esteem....
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You need to set up a routine that is sustainable. Way too many fail (gain the weight back), because they lose it using unsustainable means . That means that by the end of your weightloss, you've learned nothing, abused your body, and go back to your old ways. The ONLY way to do this for the long term is to develop long term habits. Eat good balanced nutrition at a moderate calorie deficit. Do some exercise. Before you know it you will feel so good that you will feel compelled to keep at it, the right way. This is in stark contrast to doing things like crash diets, cleanses, detoxes, and fads, where by the end of it you are miserable and have nowhere to go but back to your old habits.

^^^This
  • mllst18
    Options
    RMR/BMR only to gain it back

Take a week off.

Please explain what RMR/BMR and TDEE means
  • mllst18
    Options
    I have the problem but not the answer, I must have lost and gained a NFL team by now :sad: !! lol

That is how I feel but I never thought of it as a whole team before.

LOL!
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh yes its been this way since the beginning of time with me lol.
    yo yo start out strong than get so hungry i wanna stuff my face yup
    vicious cycle. but i beilve i found something
    that i will never have to do this again:)
  • mllst18
    Options
    Oh yes its been this way since the beginning of time with me lol.
    yo yo start out strong than get so hungry i wanna stuff my face yup
    vicious cycle. but i beilve i found something
    that i will never have to do this again:)

Good for you! :smile:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    RMR/BMR only to gain it back

Take a week off.

Please explain what RMR/BMR and TDEE means

This is a very exciting moment, because as soon as you find the answers to these questions and truly comprehend them, your life will be changed forever, and you will never be overweight again.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    my mom se to tell me " How bad you want it kiddo?" If you want it bad enough you will put in the gym hours and eat right. if your not giving it your all it might not be something you actually want right now. Try finding ways to make this actually fun. :D Exersise can be quite fun if you do it right
  • akgordoa
    Options

This.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've lost and regained (plus) a hundred pounds twice. Why do I expect to be successful this time? Tools and peer support. The tools for MFP just click with me. I get what I'm doing. It makes sense and it isn't onerous. I can imagine eating this way and exercising this way as a lifestyle (that's why I eat back my calories, I want to establish sustainable eating and exercise habits). And when I reach my goal, I fully expect to continue to use the MFP tools to keep me on track. That will be the difference.

I have a friend who just reached goal about 6 weeks ago. Initially she felt like, "How am I going to eat all this food?" when she got the 500 cals a day back. Then she really struggled with days of feeling out of control. But she continued to use the tools. Continued to depend on her buds who've been here with her (we are all IRL friends, too) and she's starting to settle into a comfortable routine. It's scary. But it can be done.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, I quit dieting and just learned to eat in small portions. I have no big or large plates, cups or bowls in my kitchen. Only small plates and bowls. My friends laugh, but it has helped me keep the lbs off.