Kid's Lunches

My kids are such picky eaters that it's difficult to pack them a lunch that is easy to pack, healthy, and something they'll eat. What do you pack your kids?

Tomorrow they will find in their lunchbox:
1 Goldfish bread cheese sandwich
1 Snack size Pringles Sour Cream and Onion Flavor
1 Fruit by the foot
1 Presliced Motts sliced green apples
1 Apple juice box
1 Mini Kit Kat bar

This includes their snack. They get to pick one thing from their lunch and have it for snack.

Replies

• vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    I've been trying to get some more healthy foods into my son's lunches and he seems to be enjoying it:

- baby carrots, sliced mini cucumbers, sliced red peppers
    - small container of ranch dressing for dipping veggies into
    - some berries - usually raspberries
    - 2 slices of low-sodium ham coldcuts
    - 100% juice box
    - granola bar or oatmeal cookies for dessert
    - yogurt
    - water bottle with a couple of drops of Mio
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    bump for later :)
  • tweetie781
    tweetie781 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm super lucky that my daughter loves all kinds of foods. Today's lunch and snack:

- hard boiled egg
    - one celery rib with peanut butter
    - homemade whole wheat banana muffin
    - a few grape tomatoes
    - light string cheese
    - 2 cinnamon graham crackers (snack)
    - plain water with lunch and 1% milk with snack

Tomorrows lunch:

- 1 slice leftover ham and mushroom pizza (homemade with homemade whole wheat crust)
    - red bell pepper slices (per her request) and maybe some dip
    - half a banana
    - Triscuits (snack)
    - plain water with lunch and 1% milk with snack

I found a website www.100daysofrealfood.com that has lots of neat ideas for kids lunches without processed foods. Just search for "lunches" and a few posts regarding that subject will come up.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    My 2 kids who are still at home pack their own lunches, but they usually make a sandwich of their liking, or they'll have a thermos of hot food leftover from the previous night's dinner (if they really liked it and there were leftovers). I've been putting 2 cookies into a small container for each of them and my husband to take in their lunches, and a small container of fruit.

I work at a school and have an opportunity to see some of the 1st grader's lunches while I'm sitting with my kindergarteners, and today I noticed some of the yummiest looking lunches ever. One child had a baggie of grapes, a baggie with cucumber slices and carrot sticks, a slice of healthy looking whole grain type bread (not white bread), yogurt, and there was something else, but I can't remember.

I've seen miniature cucumbers, lunch meat by itself, buttered bread, and cherry tomatoes.

My oldest son was very picky when it came to his lunchbox. I ended up making cracker sandwiches for him. Sometimes it was saltines and squares of cheese, sometimes it was saltines and peanut butter. He would eat grapes, and sliced apples if I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on them. At least he ate them and didn't toss those out into the empty house lots on the way home from school like he was doing to his sandwiches. (his siblings tattled...LOL!)
  • Today I sent my son with leftover chili, an apple and whole milk. Yesterday it was spaghetti, grapes and milk. His thermos with the spoon in the lid was the best $20 I spent on school supplies this year. :)
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    My friend makes her child lunch everyday. She blogs about it here, has some good ideas.

http://www.jamies-recipes.com/cold-lunch/