Replies

• adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was borderline hypothyroid but then losing weight helped to correct it
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your attitude, you may be able to help me. I have a dear friend who is on Thyroxine and weighs 245lbs, she has arthritis in her knees and finds it very difficult some days to keep up with her 3 young'uns. Ive tried to coax her into living healthier (not just for her own health but because she is my best friend, I want her around for a long time yet!) but she always loses interest when she doesnt see instant results. I know she is unhappy with herself and I just want her to happy and healthy. Is there anything I can try without either hurting her feelings or making her feel worse?
    You have done SO well and I know its attitude that gets you there in the end :smile:

This is similar to someone I know!

unfortunately you can only be there for support and encouragement, one day she will wake up and realise that weight management is a lifelong commitment with no easy quick fixes. It took me a long time to realise that it had taken me a long time to put the weight on, but will take even longer to lose it.

good luck!
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A difficulty is when you are comparing yourself to other, non-Hypos, is where the frustration comes in. The non-hypos can have similar eating and exercise habits and drop the weight much quicker, which can derail our focus. I have to work so much harder. So for me, I have to focus on my journey and use others, both hypos and non-hypos as motivation to achieve the same goals, though I will cross the finish line many months after the non-hypos.

Another issue is that we have to be hypervigilant as the weight creep happens when we are not focused on eating & exercising and it happens fast.

Hypothyroidism was a gift from my dad, a gift that keeps on giving, LOL. Both of my siblings have it, likely my kids will have it. My brother takes very good care of himself, still overweight; my sister, not so much.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A difficulty is when you are comparing yourself to other, non-Hypos, is where the frustration comes in. The non-hypos can have similar eating and exercise habits and drop the weight much quicker, which can derail our focus. I have to work so much harder. So for me, I have to focus on my journey and use others, both hypos and non-hypos as motivation to achieve the same goals, though I will cross the finish line many months after the non-hypos.

Another issue is that we have to be hypervigilant as the weight creep happens when we are not focused on eating & exercising and it happens fast.

Hypothyroidism was a gift from my dad, a gift that keeps on giving, LOL. Both of my siblings have it, likely my kids will have it. My brother takes very good care of himself, still overweight; my sister, not so much.

Excellent point. Like I said, many of us don't actually say, "OMG IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE WEIGHT." We are vocal because we are in a completely different boat than others.

My own issue with weight IS actually pretty anecdotal--my levels were TOO high (all from medication, because I had my thyroid removed at 13 because of cancer) which caused my adrenals to skyrocket my cortisol. Do you know what cortisol does? It *IS* the hormone that makes weight come from nothing. Anything you put in your mouth? Fat, because fat is what keeps you alive when your adrenal glands think "Omg, we're dying," and requires no extra energy to maintain. Do you know what they do to treat LOW adrenaline, also highly correlated with thyroid issues, specifically hypothyroidism? Cortisol. Guess what THAT does.

They're all connected, the whole goddamn system is connected (hence, endocrine system), and who's at the top? Thyroid.

And I'm sorry, but yeah--you are incredibly fortunate, OP, if it took only FIVE months to get everything together. Stop using your own, SINGULAR example to judge a huge group of people.

I'm going to agree with what someone else said--you must be trolling, trying to get people to jump on your own bandwagon, etc. I would love to know your levels, your medicine, hell, even your doctor since you got such amazing treatment. I'll be waiting for a response :)
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 4 years ago after having missed my TOM for 3 months straight! But I'm "borderline" as I was told. Guess what, Levothyroxine made me hungry all the time. Stopped taking it 3 months before my last TSH test and the test came out normal. So, I haven't taken it since and I've lost now 24 lbs since July 1st. Will it hurt me in the long run? Who knows....my mom has full blown hypothyroid, stopped her meds for a while and dropped below 200. She was in the 230's!!! Sometimes I feel that dr's keep us all medication-ed up so they can continue making the big bucks!! But thats only my opinion...please don't attack me :(
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Proof here too! I used to roll my eyes at people who gave the "It's my thyroid" excuse. Then when it happened to me I saw how hard it was BUT as you said IT CAN BE DONE!

Exactly. It is hard. Never said it wasn't =)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've learned to not compare myself to others. And whoever said I have excuses, you're wrong. I don't make excuses for myself. There aren't any. If you want it badly enough, you can do it no matter what you face. You have to accept what's "wrong" with you, and not compare yourself to others, focus on yourself, don't think about what others think or say, and go get what you want.

As for someone who has a friend with problems, I don't know what to tell you! Unfortunately, until she wants to change, there's nothing you can do that will make her. I've been struggling with this with my husband. He doesn't want to and I can't do anything to make him. It sucks, but I'm hoping he'll realize to get his head out of his *kitten* soon.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the way your post came across. Kinda rude... Just saying.

Losing weight with hypo is hard esp if your numbers are out of wHack. Even numbers in the normal range can have trouble losing weight. Is it impossible? No... nothing is impossible. Though it is very hard. Thyroid can be used as an excuse like anything else but I think it's out of line to post and say quit your crying I lost 18 lbs WTF is your problem? Every person is different, every person has their own issues regarding health and food. Don't be quick to judge.

FWIW Before being diag. with hypo 10-11 yrs ago I shot up a quick 60-75 lbs in 3 months. It was AWFUL. I gained a lot more after that trying to get my crap in order. I'm now working on it and it's coming off. It's slower than normal but it comes off. I also have other issues with food that slow me down as well. Not an excuse... just what I have to deal with.